Saturday, March 4

Scarlett's Darker Secret

HOME STRETCH

I had to order 2 more skeins of Lone Star because in my original order 2 of the skeins were too light. Note to Webs --this is like getting methadone lite after using the hard stuff for weeks, I know it's hand-dyed and all that but don't tell me you guys don't have decent lighting in the stock room. Well, now the 2 new skeins are a little too dark. This became obvious after working half of the right front. Arrrgh! Is is that noticeable? Maybe not to the general public, but I'll know and it will eat at me every time I wear it, feeling like a flashcard. "I'm dark! I'm darker! I'm dark! I'm darker!" I'm not even going to think about overdyeing after all the work I've done. Nothing to do but soldier on.Now, was I fashion forward or what going with the bobbles? Thanks to the Stefano Pilati/YSL, we have this moth of doom emerging from her black popcorn knit chrysalis. "The lights...the lights...they're weeenking and bleeenking." Yeah, well, we knitters know what to do with those little terrors--we STOMP on them and breathe a huge sigh of relief.


Jean-Luce Hure for The New York Times


HOME FRONT

We have an action packed weekend with the final basketball games overlapping with the beginning of baseball season. Now, I used to be sporty in school but hearing the continual shrieks of referee's whistles while 2 or 3 basketball games are going on is cruel and unusual. The only people insane enough to endure this are the devoted parents who grimace collectively and wish they didn't have that extra glass of wine last night. Look for me--I'll be the one cringing and knitting in the corner.

I am psyched about the World Baseball Classic because other countries get to compete. Where do you think all those major league players come from? Field of Dreams extras? I can't wait for Cuba to mix it up with the Dominicans and the Puerto Ricans. I don't get into reading the sports pages but Bill Simmons/Page 2 on the ESPN website is pretty funny. His blog on the Rose Bowl makes for great reading even if that historic day in Longhorn football means zilch to you. Just watch the last 10 minutes, no, make that the last 5 minutes of the game and you'll understand why football's a religion in these parts.

4 comments:

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Annie said...

Try knitting with 2 skeins of yarn, alternating every 2 rows. Tedious, maybe, but blends the colors. :-)

The bobble cape is quite something!

lobstah said...

Arrgh! That is so frustrating about the yarn colors. I agree with Annie--the best way to deal is to alternate between the two.

The cocoon of doom had me laughing. Fashion is fun but can be so silly sometimes!

Larjmarj said...

That cape (?) thingy is just hideous and it looks like it probably weighs more than the model does! ;-) Nice job on the sweater, some day I'll get over me fear of sewing seams. Marj