Sunday, March 12

Tokyo

Where to start? Tokyo is nonstop food heaven. We had the world's best sushi at the seafood market and I mean the world's BEST fatty tuna, sea urchins, mackerel, you name it. All washed down with sake at 7am after getting in the night before. Jetlag, what jetlag? I was up at 4am ready to roll. The subway is terrific and not so crowded on weekends so we've been zipping around to different neighborhoods checking out shrines, shopping and more food. We've had cold soba noodles for lunch, 'country' style food in Rippongi(the waiters yell out your order), excellent ramen, tons of sake and green tea. There are branches of French pastry/tea/gourmet shops all over the place. Slightly disorienting to see Mariage Freres, Printemps, Taillevent etc...I've  bought yakutas (cotton kimonos) for the boys and myself--very cute.
 
 I did score some yarn at Tokyu Hands but the selection was disappointing. I picked up some bright lipstick red Noro mohair and some variegated fine mohair(another brand). I bought a couple of skeins of Puppy cotton yarn because they had bats on the labels. We went by the street where the kids all hang out--much like St. Mark's Place in NYC in the 80's but cleaner. I got some great kneesocks--black bats on hot pink and some peach ones with mushrooms. Lots of pirate motifs, I even some some insoles with skulls on them.
 
One highlight has been watching the Tonya Harding story of Japanese TV and live Sumo wrestling. And getting a pic of a rat dumpster diving in a park.
 
Now we're off to the train station to head out to the ryokans--land of hot baths. I have been working on the ruffles scarf from Scarf Style and I have an Interlacements Toasty Toes (color 'poppies') sock on the needles. I also brought some laceweight yarn for a shawl on size 3 needles. We'll see if I even get near it.
 
A great introduction to Tokyo is Sujata Massey's "The Salaryman's Wife." I picked up all sorts of handy bits of trivia that impressed the DH--like hot green tea in vending machines and the toilets with built in bidets. Gotta run!

3 comments:

Annie said...

Your trip sounds amazing! A yarn tour (and more) of Japan. Love it!

lobstah said...

Sounds wonderful! I hope you are taking lots of pictures :)

thebluestbutterfly said...

I am glad that you are having fun.