Tuesday, April 4

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

(No knitting to report, I'm cleaning up the yarncave.)

Well, all I know is what I read in the papers.
Will Rogers, New York Times, Sept 30 1923

I read the NYTimes and the Austin American-Statesman. One for my 212 and international fix, the other for local politics, weather and Jane Grieg. So, now you know my sources.

Michael Houghton for The New York Times


Sometimes, I'm really grateful to be a boymom.
Barbie now has her own stage show, "Barbie Live in Fairytopia," which just opened in Columbus, Ohio. There's 2-year 80 city tour planned for the 47-year old, uhm, actress playing a wingless fairy. Remarking upon the resemblance of Barbie's portrayer, Erin Elizabeth Coors, to "Legally Blonde 2" Barbie, the article states,"It's all very meta.....Which is to say that an actress playing a doll as an actress playing a role looks like a doll made to look like another actress playing another role." Huh? Boy, that marketing machine over at Mattel's gets up really early in the mornings, I tell you. A first-grade teacher remarked, "I kept watching her and you know what? She kind of looks like the doll that I played with. It's kind of scary."
(Girlmoms beware: the light-up Fairytopia Barbies will set you back $30 and the t-shirts are $15.)

The real Barbie at 47Now, this is what a 47-yr old looks like on Planet Mary.

And while I'm on the subject of desperate moves, the 85-year-old Miss America pageant decided to jump on the reality TV bandwagon and will let viewers pick some of the finalists at the end of each episode of "Finding Miss America," where we get a behind the scenes look during the preliminary competitions. And you thought this all happened in one night? You only get 7 chances, the judges get to pick eight. I can see the office pools starting already.
Now don't get me wrong, watching the "Miss America" pageant was a staple of my TV viewing up until I hit my twenties. There was a long run of big-haired Texan contenders which spawned a whole industry of designers and stylists in the state and nearly wiped out the VO-5 and AquaNet supplies. Former winners include Lee Meriwether, Phyllis George and Vanessa Williams.
"Miss America represents the highest ideals. She is a real combination of beauty, grace, and intelligence, artistic and refined. She is a type which the American Girl might well emulate."
Atlantic City Chamber of Commerce President Frederick Hickman

By the way, Mattel's owns 'The American Girl' line, complete with musical revues and stores in New York, Chicago and soon to LA. We had a family trip to NYC a couple of years ago where my niece, with her Samantha doll, mom and grandmother in tow, spent the day at American Doll having tea and watching her doll get a comb-out. We took the boys to ESPN station in Times Square and hit the arcade.

No comments: