Tuesday, August 22

M Stands for Meetings

The boys have their new school supplies all labeled and the bulletin board is filling up with fliers and announcements. In a rare fit of school spirit, I volunteered to be co-chair, Library Liaison, for the PTA. I was reassured that there would no meetings or fundraising. Well, I just got back from our first Services Committee meeting where I made the crucial mistake of not bringing my knitting. I did grab what I thought was a sock but turned out to be my frogged Lovelund waiting to be recast on. The general discussion went off-topic for about 20 minutes and that's when I hit the door. There's a good reason why I don't sign up for stuff...

My mother was the president of the Ft. Worth Junior League back in the 70's and I was dragged to more meetings than I care to remember. My preteen years were spent folding endless numbers of mimeographed sheets and stuffing them into envelopes in a small room at the Scott Theatre. There was this white porcelain roller thing that held water. You took a postage stamp, wetted it, and then affixed it to the envelope. Next! A big improvement was when my mom discovered the wet sponge method and later the bulk mailing machine. Sometimes, I got to play with some other child hostage and we'd take turns trying to get money out of the vending machines. My childhood was filled with my mom's volunteer work...the Child Study Center(coolest playground) where I got to see Mr. Peppermint with all the disabled kids, Mayfest (great food), the DFW Airport gala opening (running around empty terminals) and later bus trips to the Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant with senior citizens when my mom got a paid gig(thank you, ERA) at the electric company.

So, yeah, I'm not a big joiner upper EXCEPT for my North Austin SnB group(a chaotic free-for-all of knitting, yarnprOn, tips, random kids and pets). Looks like it runs in the family....

Stay tuned for WIP update and yarnpix...I promise!

edited to add: Mr. Peppermint is the father of Gibby Haynes, one of the founding Butthole Surfers. One of my cousins was married to another one. Six degrees, eh?

3 comments:

HPNY Knits said...

life will be SOOOO much harder if we could not take our knitting with us!!!

HPNY Knits said...

life will be SOOOO much harder if we could not take our knitting with us!!!

HPNY Knits said...

life will be SOOOO much harder if we could not take our knitting with us!!!