Wednesday, September 27

London is the Place for Me

YeeHaw! 'Ol Mary's gonna hop on a jet plane and bounce over to London in a couple of weeks. This all came about when Mr. Mary was dreamily describing all the restaurants, gourmet shops and bookstores he was going to visit on his pending trip to New York. No wife, no kids, just footloose with a couple of meetings and loads of free time. I had just been checking out the blogs and something HPNY had mentioned stuck in my brain.
Me time.
"You know...there's a knitting/fiber show in London coming up...."
"Why not? Let's check the calendar. But this will cost you bigtime. Maybe Harris and I could pull off a press trip to Singapore."

Oh please. I love Singapore. It's a food lover's heaven BUT it is not the Knitting and Stitching Show, pal. Try harder, like a tour of A.L. de Sauveterre's studio, dinner with Sonia Rykiel or a private class and tarot reading with Barbara Walker. Now that would hurt.

I found a good fare on Continental and wiped out all my Visa points. Booked a hotel, got my ticket for the show and JOY even got a space in the intarsia class with Sasha Kagan and 'Seductive Surfaces' class with Jean Littlejohn. Got a ticket to see Tom Stoppard's "Rock 'n' Roll". Phoned a couple of British friends who laughed hysterically when I told them I was coming over for a knitting show(note to self: delete these people from knitted holiday gift list). AND I get to hook up with HPNY!
pitter-pat, pitter-pat, pitter-pat....

The Fixer

Anneke called me the other day about fixing a blanket that one of her customers had finished. Well, it showed up...all eleven feet and 4 lbs/1.8 kilos of it.The yarn is so thick I couldn't run a seam across the middle on the sewing machine, so I hand-basted it and then cut it in half. Kitchener stitch was out of the question, mattress stitch had to do. Now, it is a more wieldy 5x4.5 foot throw. I'll crochet an edge around it in a matching grey yarn and Bob's yer uncle.P9270882The yarn is Katia Diva, 50gms=33 yards, 63%wool/21%acrylic/16%nylon and it's very soft. I turned my back for 5 minutes and THIS happened. P9250871I checked with Anneke and, thank goodness, the knitter is a dog/cat lover. Otherwise, I'd be looking at the grandaddy of all handwashing jobs.
P9250875
Last season it was the Ferragamo bag and there's a pattern already on the internet.(no, you go find it) I saw this trio in a Nordstrom's catalog. They range in price from $138-$178. Is it only me or does anyone else find the idea of dragging a cream wool knitted purse through your daily life a tad impractical? Yes, they're cute but the first encounter with a toddler's grubby mitts or a damp taxi seat and all bets are off. I know I'm being a sourpuss, but just wait until I trot out the doctor's bag from "Knit2Together." Now, that's a fine looking piece of haberdashery.

5 comments:

Ceci said...

haha, girl, you're so lucky that blanket didn't belong to the president of the Cat Allergy Club of America!

(give Archie a kiss for me)

Hilde C. said...

Your cat is truly adorable. Tell him he can come and lay on one of my blankets anytime :-) The trip to London sounds so interesting. Hope you will tell us all about it afterwards. And I hope you will have a great time :-)

lobstah said...

Ooooh...so jealous of your London trip. I can't wait to see all the photos.
Hmm, that customer's "blanket" looks like a scarf gone awry. "Blanket" + adorable kitty = 1,000% improved!

HPNY Knits said...

A.L. de Sauveterre, hmmm, I wonder if they'll be at the market in Ally Paly...

turtlegirl76 said...

Awww...the kitty looks so comfy!