Wednesday, September 13

She Knits! She Sews! She Pimps Her Kids' Bikes!

eyelet detail, IK Spring 06 Waterlily topHOT CINDERS! I finished IK Spring 06 Waterlily Top. I did make a few adjustments...I put in eyelets instead of the purl bands along the bottom. I really don't need horizontal bands screaming, "Check out the beam on this broad." I also decreased more at the waist so I would, like, have one. I skipped the eyelet detail around the underarms simply because I didn't like it. Oh, a word about those eyelets...the pattern calls for 'lifted eyelets' and 'twisted yarnovers' which I thought made little bitty weenie holes instead of grade A HOLES so I went with a standard issue YO for maximum peepshow action. I did have to rewrite the pattern to make that change but such is the price of unbridled individuality. I dipped into my bottomless stash of Giotto and went with 'Castagna' as part of my ongoing efforts to feel autumnal. I like the way it pools for a slight camo effect which is always chic in Texas.
And here we have Simplicity 4072 or my "Summer of Love" dress in a Cindy Shermanesque pose. If you make this, go down a size or three--it's cut super full and I still need to take in the waist even more. Again, I made adjustments and skipped the tie in the back--a bit Holly Hobby for me. I'll probably end up putting a zipper on the side. I'd say that the waist is about 2 inches on the high side, but it's very comfy. And the orange border fabric has groovy dots which make me happy and my children cringe. Tex is 9.95 years old and has recently exhibited a !gasp! fashion sense which includes eye-rolling observations on his mother's wardrobe. I can't be too hard on him as he's up for an argyle skull sweater. Little does he know that I might make us all matching skull sweaters--perfect for our next trip to Inner Space.
Cindy Sherman pose in Simplicity 4072I've also been promising Tex that I'd customize, er, pimp his bike with some flames and stuff. Armed with 9 jillion little bottles of Testors enamel paint, I set to work. Some errant maternal instinct kicked in and I painted Bandit's bike as well. He pointed to the poster of a cheetah on his wall and said, "I want that." The cougar on the front is actually their school mascot. This was all done freehand which made for some fun cursing and embellishment. Yep, these beauties are the envy of the neighborhood boys. Other fun activities have included a hellacious head cold that's just now disappearing--hack,hack; going to the UT/OSU game and watching the Buckeyes piss all over our 21-game winning streak--put strings on Colt McCoy and he looks just like Howdy Doody; working on Very Easy Very Vogue 9389 in lightweight brown/grey tweed(started in 2003)....

AND swatching for that Oscar sweater that continues to haunt me. A couple of y'all have expressed interest(squeaky wheel is more like it, Janice) which has forced me to get off my air-conditioned butt and work on it. A pattern is one thing and an actual knitted piece is another--I should have the former in about a week or so and the latter by about the time you'll find the original at the Bergdorf's outlet shop(does one exist?) for a third of the price. FYI--I'm using either Furlana or Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece on size 6 needles.

12 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

Wow! The IK top looks great! I love your mods and the color you chose. Wonderful! Heh. Cheetah bike.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
HPNY Knits said...

IK top is fab. very safari! and the bikes look great. what did you use to paint?

aija said...

The ik top looks so great on you. I'm also in awe of your freehand styling on the bikes, way cool!

Bonnie said...

Love the top. I have apple green yarn for this one but am not 100% sure it is right for me. Hmmm. Yours looks so damned cute that I feel tempted.

The bike is a homerun! Perhaps it would be more appropriate to growl. Grrrr.

lobstah said...

Wow! I love it all! The waterlily top is so great...very sophisticated. I wasn't sure about that pattern, but now I see the light.
And those custom bikes are so cool. Maybe you can get a job doing custom painting on cars? :D

lobstah said...

P.S. Love the Cindy Sherman reference too.

David said...

Damn, you're really spanning the artistic spectrum here. The Waterlily is lovely. That really looks good on you.
And the boys' bikes - AWESOME. I hope they appreciate their mom's coolness.

Annie said...

Love your Waterlilly! Looks great. My, you have been busy! So crafty! :-)

Hilde C. said...

Knitting and adjusting, sewing and painting - you are a clever woman, I'm impressed. Your boys are lucky :-)

Zonda said...

Nice job on your top! :) I really like that Oscar sweater too, but couldn't wear it :(! Neat job on the bikes!

turtlegirl76 said...

Lookin' for Yarn Pr0n Friday...