Tuesday, December 12

Spinning Into my Grave

Remember all the cliques in high school? The stoners, the jocks, the preppies, the nerds, and then the rest of us? That look of concerned alarm that your mother had when she finds a new set of strangers lounging around the kitchen table? Well, knitting has its own cliques...the newbies, the lace set, the aran people, the pattern/no pattern knitters, straights vs. circulars, solids vs. variegated, intarsia vs. fair isle, the frugal vs. the stashers and, then, there's that hardcore crowd....the spinners.

I took a class about 3 years ago where we learned to spin on a Russian spindle and ogle the Orenberg shawls. My spinning was abysmal and, frankly, I was more interested in pulling one of the shawls through my wedding ring than strangling a small piece of wool. I did buy one of the spindles as a memento...

There are a couple of spinners in my SnB group who periodically haul in their named wooden contraptions and spin while the rest of us knit. They have animated chats about the roving someone just sent them, orifices and flyers, drum carders and Scotch tension. I always thought that scotch eased the tension, drums don't get carded, and orifices were...oh nevermind. Thinking of the spinners, I picked up some woolly stuff for gifts at the K&S show in London, but it was so pretty and and soft that I kept a little for myself...

And then I bought a drop spindle and played with it...

Then Entrelac went to the wool festival in Boerne and brought me this little cocobolo beauty...

And now, here I am, checking out wheels on the internet, buying fiber by the ounce and gleefully accepting woolly stuff from Robincat. Mondays are my spinning days where I pile all this stuff on my kitchen table and willingly endure the humbling experience of spinning soy silk, organic cotton and merino top into something that resembles a knittable yarn. There are drop spindles and dropped spindles. Their names are Wilbur and Charlotte. The Russian is Anastasia because I keep forgetting how to attach the leader.

"It's exactly the same difference between reading a bunch of books and then actually writing one. Really!" was the explanation I gave my writer DH about my spinning. He gave me a very blank look as I picked some stray soy silk off of his dark green shirt. Now, about that Scotch tension....

6 comments:

Annie said...

hhahahahah! You go with your bad ass spinning self, Mary. And pass the scotch!

Hilde C. said...

To me, spinning come in the same category as rocket science. Can't understand how you do it :-)

entrelac said...

*grins positively evilly*

You are most welcome, Mary. Want some more merino?

HPNY Knits said...

oh! I soooo want to belong to the cool spinners clique! that's it, its my new year res # 2- learn to spin (yarn, not out of control, I already know that one...)

lobstah said...

Uh oh, someone stop her before she's out of control! And keep her away from the Scotch!
Ha ha ha...have fun and happy spinning :)

Garngamen said...

Spin on, that looks great! Hot colours. Isn't it fun?