Tuesday, December 19

Yarncave!

We moved into this house about a year and a half ago. The spare room and future yarncave was the holding area/dumping ground for all the odd boxes and stuff. Most of the boxes made their way to other parts of the house, but I was left with the yarn and fabric stashes and all the doodads that go with knitting, quilting and DIY.

Even my dear friends had given me a gift certificate for a 'clutter consultant.' I was going to call her, but not before I did a little decluttering myself. Why waste her time on things I could do myself? The DH went out of town for a few days and that's when I got the idea for the big Destash. I ended up sending 23 boxes of yarn to people around the world, donating about 5 more boxes full of unused crap to Goodwill and moving a lot of the remaining stuff into plastic bins in the garage. I had the rug cleaned. I ordered a futon. I bought a cheap TV at Target.

Then they opened up the new tollroad and I discovered....IKEA.

And so, without further ado, I present to you the new and improved yarncave....
I can personally vouch for the fiendishly clever instructions that comes with Ikea furniture. They work. When you've built an Ikea piece, you feel like you're part of a sleek, well-designed world inhabited by slightly hip Swedish engineers. Like you're the Britt Ekland of DIY. You feel decluttered.

There is still some work to be done--curtains, bamboo shades for the closets--nothing major. Now I have a:
Yarncave
Sewing area
Computer/desk/work space
Cat napping room for felines and humans
Guest Room for crafty visitors
Deluxe Sleepover Den for 8-10-year old boys
Future Gaming Room, thanks to Uncle Redneck who is giving the boys an XBox. (This is what happens when your brother is newly single, has no mortgage or kids.)
Personal Retreat to watch "The League of Gentlemen" and "The Royle Family" at my leisure
Secret Clubhouse for my SnB group
And, just possibly...a future home for a spinning wheel

Boy, I can really use that clutter consultant for the garage!

9 comments:

Trillian42 said...

Nice work!

I too am one who worships at the altar of Ikea. It's such a wonderful place...

Chuck said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
HPNY Knits said...

is that cool or what!! looks great.
:-)

cpurl17 said...

Do you take reservations? I'd like my stay sometime in the Springtime :)

Bonnie said...

I miss Ikea. Those Swedes are clever!

And I think it is a yarncave no more. From now on it should be known as the Yarn Haven.

Zonda said...

I wish I had an Ikea!! That is just an awesome space there! I know you'll enjoy it! :)

Garngamen said...

Wow, Ikea! You know it is a very stubborn (but smart) Man: s work: Ingvar Kamprad (the first letters). The problem with anything great - like declutter of a yarn-room with easy DIY furiture is If your mom looked like Britt Ekland, and you are a "sleek Swedish Engieer" - somewhat hip. You desperately want to disassociate yourself from that, and by old heritage furniture from 1800 or something. In Sweden not necessarily more expensive than Ikea, but definitely a problem to get in place. Well, Maybe decluttering with Ikea than clutter - never have time to go to auctions. PS! Im SO sorry for your loss. Dogs are so close to your heart, cheerful creatures. How sad.

Hilde C. said...

What a wonderful room you've turned it into! This inspires me to start some decluttering myself :-)

Marji said...

fabulous space - don't you feel now like you can accomplish something?