Friday, December 8

YPF or Mary Does Dallas


(left, Colinette Tao silk, marble; right, Noro Kureyon, col.184)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!





(left, Noro Kureyon, col.184; right, Noro Silk Mountain, col.8 with DB Alpaca Silk)

Three Yarn Shops in Two Days plus Dixie Chicks

I drove up to Dallas on Tuesday to meet Anneke for the Dixie Chicks concert. Anneke is my former boss and a good friend. She owns a yarn and needlepoint shop in Miami. I knew it was useless trying to entice her with The Grassy Knoll, The Zodiac Room or even seeing Southfork.

It was time for a recon....SEX in other words. Simpatico Yarns was the closest, so we hit that first. Small shop, a very warm welcome and color of Kureyon we hadn't seen before. And believe me, honey, we've seen them all. I picked up 5 skeins for a felted bag. (Let me interject that all purchases made on this trip have specific patterns for those of you who think I have backslid into my skein grubbing ways now that I have vast amounts of space in the Yarncave.) They also had Fox Fiber organic cotton sliver. I'm not used to fiber amounts, so when I said 'Oh, four ounces should be fine,' I didn't know I was getting a grocery bag full of the stuff. Ah, the better to learn with, my dear.

We then got on the President George Bush turnpike(didn't they used to name things after dead presidents?)and zoomed over to the Woolie Ewe. We marched in the door and stopped dead in our tracks. Uh-oh, we were in Deep Doo-Doo. This joint carries as many different yarns as Anneke, who immediately set to work looking for the ones she doesn't have. Somewhere in all this I had mentioned that I needed to make a couple of scarves for the boys' teachers. You know, cast on 150 stitches, knit up 6-8 inches, cast off.

Anneke shrugged her shoulders, "That gets so boring. Why not do Loopy from Knitty? Oh, and have you seen the Colinette Parisienne/Tao shawl? It's my bestseller--I've got 3 hanging in the shop. So fast, so pretty."

Two skeins Parisienne, 2 skeins Tao, and some sale yarn for Loopy later, we got out of there(the Woolie Ewe owner kept calling Anneke 'honey' which is hysterically funny if you know her). Anneke had picked up some kind of hyper slubby handspun that, frankly, looks worse than my own. To her, it looked really funky and cool. I was thinking 'Yarn Barf.' I'm becoming a handspun fiber snob in a very short time, thanks to the insidious influence of my spinning teacher,Entrelac.


The Dixie chicks concert was fun, funny and full of really white Texans whooping their asses off and having a good time. The next morning, I drove Anneke to the airport and headed back to north Dallas via President Bush to meet the notorious Monkee. She's a student at UT Dallas which meant that she got some lovely consolation prizes and storage solutions, courtesy of the Destash. Knittyheads know her as being highly irreverent and full of mischief. I know her as the knitter with yarn dreadlocks who can casually knit lace while strolling about a yarn shop. And talk at the same time, while looking for yarn. And not trip over anything. I took pics, but you'll have to take my word for it as my pocket digital bit the dirt. Shop #3 was Yarn And Stitches, medium sized, warm welcome and where I picked a couple of skeins of Noro Cashmere Island(a variegated Cash Iroha)to keep my existing Cash Iroha company, an extra skein of the Debbie Bliss Alpaca/Silk that I'm using for a hat with the Noro Silk Mountain and some sale yarn for felted stockings.

KNITTING:
Here's a Kitty Pi bed for Neko and here's a pair of socks that merlinthecat has made for me to give the DH. Go ahead, visit her blog and take a look, I can wait. Aren't they pretty? Yes, I farmed out my Touch 4-ply for someone else to knit. Merlinthecat knits socks in her sleep while I....dream about knitting socks in my sleep.

12 comments:

Hilde C. said...

I must say it sounds like you've backslid into your skein grubbing, but if you say you haven't, I will try my best to believe you ;-) Anyway, sounds like you've had a wonderful trip. I'm looking forward to see what you are making with all that wonderful yarn :-)

Bonnie said...

You are a busy girl. And what I wouldn't give to hit more than lys. Sadly, the hubby limits me to one lys trip per trip to the US. What a party pooper!

cpurl17 said...

Fabulous & super cute yarn photos! And it sounds like you had a great road trip.

HPNY Knits said...

Dallas sound like fun! and now that the yarn room has more space for new yarn...
Neko looks all cosy and happy in his little bed!

Zonda said...

Yay a yarny trip! Love your Pr0n! Cool! :)

Garngamen said...

You have done it again. Kept me for a long time at your blog checking out all links. Of course, I have been to Southfork (1983!) and Dallas. Great fun. No knittingshops then. Really like browsing around And that Kueryon looks great. Thinking about what Parisienne/Tao shawl patter it could be "Honey" had,(I agree, they would look good togheter)! Cash Iroha is just great.

Annie said...

bee-yooooo-tiful yarn. oh yum.

sgeddes said...

Love the yarn of course! Great photos.

Margot said...

didn't they used to name things after dead presidents?
Well, if they wait until this one's dead, his chances of having anything named after him are a bit thin...

Quite a yarn haul - good to hear you had fun. Saw the Chicks on their last tour. Good times.

Gotta say, you started out naming projects for your newly acquired yarn, but at the end it started sounding suspiciously like stash yarn. *evil grin* Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you...

monkeemaven said...

sweet delicious yarn pr0n....

lobstah said...

Awesome holiday yarn photos, and I LOVE Neko's groovy bed!

aija said...

These are great holiday photos! Sounds like a fun time, too :)