Tuesday, January 16

Brrrr

Wooo doggies! First, we had flash flooding last weekend and now we're in the midst of a 3-day ice storm. Through some bizarre confluence of events involving El Nino, NAFTA, Martin Luther King Jr. and Mica Mosbacher(my cousin's ex-wife), Austin has been designated the official target. Now, all of y'all in New England, Europe and any points north are probably shaking your heads over the hysteria, but we were in shorts a week ago. There have been nine jillion wrecks and god forbid you didn't run out to the store and stock up for the duration. Putting our East Coast(Conn., Mass., NYC and DC, between the two of us) driving skills to good use, we ran out to the store twice today. The first time was to get everything for sauerbraten. The second time we loaded up on firewood, then Mr. Mary ran back in for egg noodles, then I remembered we needed dish soap. So, there we were, sitting in the grocery store parking lot, trying to think of anything we might need and watched some guy walk out with a 2-liter bottle of Big Red. Now, that's real Texas storm preparation!

I've been working steadily on 'Old Faithful,' the grey sweater for Mr. M to replace his 20-yr old acrylic relic. The knitting is quite boring and it's taken sheer willpower to work stockinette back and forth for 25 inches on a 46-inch sweater in the round. Back and forth...back and forth...back and...I've finally gotten the front neck finished and just need to work the back shoulders. Once I've gotten the shoulder seams done, I can pick up stitches around the armhole for sleeves and work my way...back and forth...down to the cuffs. I'm determined to finish my WIPs and, while this may not be the oldest one, it is the one that is most immediately needed.

So, I'm off to light a fire, fix a hot toddy, play Scrabble with the boys, enjoy the sauerbraten and watch 'The Triplets of Belleville.' I'm sure I'm forgetting something....oh yeah, feed the dog!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww... I love sleeping dogs!

Very weird weather lately! Stay safe and warm! :)

HPNY Knits said...

great shot of the ice! stay warm!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you got ice! If had known that, I would have sent you more wool - a package is on it's way :-)

Anonymous said...

ohhhh my what a puppy!!! Ohhhhh!

Renee said...

Chuy is so dang cute. What a snuggle puppy.

Ta nya said...

Snow! You lucky gal...

Hey, remember when Bill Murray was on the Oscars, and he said he loved that song from Triplets of Belleville? He said it was "swingin."

Hope you enjoyed the movie.

Anonymous said...

When we lived in Austin, we Canadians were laughing at the poor Texans who couldn't handle a bit of ice. But then my hub slipped on the only patch of ice left in town and broke his arm. Of course, it was all melted away in a day, but the cast was on for weeks...

Anonymous said...

Ice storms are scary, even for a confirmed New Englander like me. I would definitely be hunkerin' down with some Big Red if we had that up here.
Man-sweater stockinette, ugh! You can do it!

Garngamen said...

Wow, ICESTORM. It is cooler there than here. I though Texas was the pool-weather place with Bikinis and cotton-silk blend. How great to have wool, fireplace and a snuggly dog to warm the feet. I so recognize when the joy turned to determination. Even more pleasing when it is done. Take care. And I had no idea what a Big Red was. Interesting.