Wednesday, January 31

It's all about the O...

As in FO! Inspired by the needle felting book that Hilde so generously sent me from Oslo, I present to you my first FO of 2007: The Preppy Felted Tote.


I couldn't take it any more. I promised myself not to start any projects until 'New Old Faithful' was finished, but I ended up driving to and from Ft. Worth when we went to the rodeo last weekend. I know where all the speed traps are and and I drive like a horse bolting for the barn on the way back--no stops. Anyway, I had visions of a beautifully needle felted tote with exquisite embroidery and beading. BUT I found the ribbon stashed away in a drawer and remembered I had some grommets leftover from the snappy curtains I made for the living room. Now, if I could only figure out where I put Wallace.

Details:
2 felted sweaters, ribbon, grommets, rope
Total cost: $7

I bought a wool sweater at the local Goodwill and had a green wool jacket that was too itchy.(This is a great way to recycle unloved wool. You'll feel extremely clever and useful. I'm thinking of felted clogs for another itchy victim.) I felted both of them and cut them into various rectangles and then sewed them up. Added the ribbon trim, bashed the grommets on with a hammer, found rope in the scissors drawer and Bob's yer uncle.
As in UFO. Sigh. Here's 'New Old Faithful' stuck on the ribbing of the first sleeve. I think this will be done during "Rome," "Battlestar Galactica" and the SuperBowl this weekend. I'm really hot to trot on some colorwork and spinning, but this is good discipline. For what, I don't know, but it has given my patience a good workout.

As in the FT.WORTH RODEO

Every year, we take the boys to my hometown for one of the best rodeos around. Yep, the Ft. Worth Stock Show and Rodeo. Here are a few pics of the highlights:








And you just can't beat the corny dogs and fried Oreos for a balanced meal!

7 comments:

knitannie said...

I am so impressed, that bag is awesome! It does not in any way look like it's made of recycled and leftover materials.

Robin said...

What, no pictures of Tuff 'N Easy?!?!

HPNY Knits said...

what a clever and cheerful bag! wonderful recycle idea.
Mary- you must post it to:
http://whipup.net/2007/01/31/whiplash-feb-recycled-crafts/

Annie said...

Very neat bag! reminds me of the patterns in AlterKnits. Did you knit at the Rodeo?

Hilde C. said...

Isn't it wonderful what a little inspiration can lead to? The tote looks great! :-)

gail said...

great tote bag!! Love it. I have lots of old felted sweaters, I'll have to try it. Rodeo looks like fun!

Zonda said...

Yay, I can finally see! Love the bag, 2 of my favorite colors!