Tuesday, February 6

365 Days and counting

(722 people have looked at this shawl made from recycled sari silk. It went to the frog pond months ago.)


Holy Cats, I've been blogging for a whole year! If it weren't so much fun, I'd be alarmed at the fact that I've posted 110 times. 110 as in every 3 or 4 days I think I'm amusing enough to inflict my sense of humor, knitting and photographs on the internet knitting community. 110 as in my friends don't even call me anymore, they just read the blog. And the rest of y'all have been really patient, supportive and pretty tolerant, even when I leave gratuitous wisecracks on your blogs.

So, what have I learned or accomplished in the past year?

Random remarks about a family trait will lead toe-pinching fetishists to your blog.

Comments on your blog is like having your very own cheering section--remember the Knitting Olympics? I regularly read the blogs of knitters who followed my KO project and left enthusiastic comments--we're bonded for life, people! I get all warm and fuzzy when I get comments. On the flip side, I tend to not comment on the megablogs that get 75-150 comments. The only exception was "You Knit What?" which I still miss dearly.

Reading other blogs and checking out the links(with a glass of wine and a credit card) will result in spontaneous online yarn and pattern purchases, including booking a flight to London and tickets to the Knitting and Stitching Show. Family and friends are planning an intervention to manage my manic/compulsive tendencies.

Meeting other bloggers is fun, especially when they're even more amazing in person. The only drawback is when they live thousands of miles away. Cheers, Hila and Sigrid!

Ditto joining a SnB group. I can't imagine my Sunday afternoons without Entrelac, Robincat, Ceci, Renee, Regina and the other knitters to swap tips, show off new yarns, gossip and goof off with. Our Sunday gatherings have been a haven where I ditch 'Mary the Mom, Wife and Director of Lost&Found' for Mary, The UFO Enforcer and Stash Enabler. Oh sure, they've raised their eyebrows a time or two, but once they got their grubby mitts on the Anny Blatt Factory Outlet goodies, they stopped mentioning psychotherapy.

Hanging out with spinners in your SnB group leads to....spinning. I can't believe I'm doing this. Really. I used to be one of those people that thought "Why waste all that time spinning yarn when you can just buy the damn stuff!" Now, I'm mulling over warm weather blends, wpi, scotch drive, hand carders and the prospect of a new wheel.

"The Idiot's Guide to Creating a Web Page & Blog" was a sound investment. The Ashford Knitters Loom, er, not so much.

(89 people have looked at my assorted Habu delights.)

I like to take pictures of yarn. I never took one until the Knitting Olympics. Then there was 'Flash Your Stash.' And later, the trip to Provence. Now, I have a digital SLR camera, a mini light tent, a tripod and a sneaking suspicion that the guy at the camera shop tried really hard not to laugh when I pulled out a skein of yarn and photographed it. This yarnpr0n has led me to join YarnPrOn Fridays, The Yarnographer's Forum and reguarly update my Flickr page. I try to take the kind of pictures that I'd like to see in Vogue Knitting and Interweave. Luckily, there are no industry standards regarding the BMI of the yarns involved and the models don't smoke or drink up all my diet Dr. Pepper. This activity has also led to an intimate knowledge of my camera's macro setting and a pair of reading glasses. I hold Turtlegirl and Trillian42 accountable for this extracurricular activity.

Joining a KAL is the kiss of death for any project I start. Sexy Knitters Club killed 'Somewhat Cowl' which I have since frogged and am using the yarn for the slouchy cardigan in "Greetings from Knit Cafe." Sunrise Circle Jacket is lurking around here, somewhere, probably afraid that I'll turn a gimlet eye upon it with visions of frogging. I love KALs, but monogamy is not a word in my knitting vocabulary.

(73 Rowan lovers checked out 'Sharleen,' which uses Biggy Print. It's too hot to wear here in Austin. sigh.)

The internet is the hottest place for knitting, without a doubt. The knitmags are all following trends that started on the internet. You'll find small batch handspun yarns on Etsy, beautiful rovings, fresh new patterns, any group you can imagine and tons of information on the boards like Knitty and Knitter's Review amongst others. (A special thank-you goes to the Knittyheads for being extra wonderful about Archie--you really comforted me during a horrible time.) I don't hang out on Knitter's Review very often, mainly when I want to watch a good catfight(or start one, just make a crack about Elizabeth Zimmerman and head for cover). Knitting blogs are an amazing source for seeing how a pattern really turns out, how different yarns knit up, links to hidden treasures and provide a whole range of reading material. They serve as the zeitgeist for the whole knitting/fiber community.

Destashing massive amounts of yarn is good for the soul. It also frees up lots of space for new friends for the stash.

(22 people looked at Sumo wrestling on Japanese television.)

2007 will be the year of the finished project, colorwork as in Dale of Norway, knitting from the stash, improving my spinning, opening the mail, paying bills, scheduling dentist visits for the kids, getting the dog neutered, washing the car, pondering the state of world affairs and hoping DH's upcoming book will get mentioned on Oprah.

11 comments:

Trillian42 said...

What a cool post. And I completely blame Turtlegirl for the yarn pr0n thing. She got me started. :D

Here's to an awesome 2007 and second year of blogging!

Annie said...

Hooray for blogging! I'll never fo®get your Knitting Olympics curling photo. Good times.

Hilde C. said...

Congratulations on your blogiversary! I remember KO too. The comment I made back then was one of the first comments I left on a blog, and I was very concerned that maybe you would misunderstand my comment. Well, you didn’t, and I’ve been looking forward to reading you blog ever since. I hope you continue blogging for a long time :-)

turtlegirl76 said...

I'll happily take any and all blame for obsession with all things yarn pr0n related =)

Happy Blogiversary!

Zonda said...

Happy Blogiversary!!

Tasha said...

I'm just here to make your day & direct you to the sequel....

http://youknitwhattwo.blogspot.com/

Your welcome. :)

HPNY Knits said...

happy blogaersary!
love your res's for the year 2007! Iam with ya' on that. all FO all the way...
and from stash
:-)

Anonymous said...

I so agree! Great reading. You are such a writer, interesting and definitely do take ossum, lushus photos./Your swedish friend Sigrid hanging on every word you write...

Renee said...

We love knitting with you on Sundays. You are so correct about that time providing a respite from the day to day. And yes, we love it when you travel hither and yon and bring us back lovely goodies to ogle and fondle, oh my.

lobstah said...

Hooray for Mary, Mary! Looking forward to another year of zaniness!

blanket said...

Congratumulations!
You like Kirsty McColl, too ... KeWL!
Thanks for the tip about the Idiot's Guide. It might just happen this year.