Wednesday, March 28

Heap Big Happy


This arrived in the mail on Saturday. A huge surprise RAK from ZKnitter, as a thank you for one of my destash boxes. She also sent me some soy silk and a couple of Burt's Bees goodies as a guarantee that I'll have happy hands. Now, to tell you how extraordinary this woman is for sending me this sumptious roving, she's not even a spinner! Thank you, Zonda, doesn't begin to convey how pleased I am.



The roving has been identified by the walking fiber encyclopedias in my SnB group as 4 ounces Ashland Bay merino/tussah silk, probably 'concord' colorway. I had that baby pre-drafted and ready to spin before the envelope hit the floor. I was determined to get as much yardage as I could because I knew this would make a beautiful shawl. And now I've got about 830 yds (100 gms/720 yds) of loosely plied fingering weight (approx. 19/20 wpi) yarn drying at the moment. Warning: the yarn did bleed a little bit when I wetted it earlier. CORRECTION: My CVS Dual Power Calculator informs that I have 830 feet or 276.6 yards of yarn. Doh.

KNITTING: I've done a few more rows of the Granny Pentagon, but I thought it would be loads more fun to put some real pressure on myself. Mr. Mary's book(I'll reveal all later) is coming out this month and he has a reading here in Austin next Wednesday. I've been sitting on some Tilli Tomas Disco Lights in Ruby Wine, 4 skeins in 2 different dye lots--go figure. Anyway, that gives me 900 yds to crank out a stunning shell to go with the bias cut devore velvet skirt I got on sale at J. Peterman online. Should I try Sahara? Tick, tick, tick...



AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
or is it?

All pink, all the time. My groovy neighbor, Evonne, even sprung for some mexican oilcloth and bordello trim.
Hasta la vista, baby!

7 comments:

Hilde C. said...

The shawl is definitively going to be beautiful, and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Oh, and I wish I had groovy neighbors like that :-)

Casey said...

I am all for keeping the little lady off the street.

Batty said...

That is some beautiful roving!

Zonda said...

Oh yeah, that's right it was concord, but I didn't know what else it was! Wow it is beautiful! Can't wait to see what you knit! :)

HPNY Knits said...

your spun yarn is gorgeous! "CVS Dual Power Calculator"? I am impressed baby!
I think sahara is lovely, and a great color on that tilli.
one week? you can do it!

Robin said...

I love your neighborhood, Mary. I could make a hobby just out of people-watching there.

txstarla said...

I worship the pink oilcloth... Maybe your next project should be an altar for the Episcopals who are without leadership down the street?

As a whiskey-palian, I would love the pink topper!