Tuesday, March 20

I'm Baaaack

Colorado, eat your heart out.

Lake Futalaufquen

Here's where I've been for the past week. And here are some darlin' tabbies in a woodpile at a private fishing camp. I was THIS close to nabbing one and taking him home only to remember the dark side of Neko.
So, let's take a look at those clues....
I was thinking of The Motorcyle Diaries, written by Ernesto Che Guevara who was born in Argentina. This book was recently made into a movie. As for 'songs have lines about it' that was a bit more obscure. Bruce Chatwin wrote "The Songlines" as well as another book, "In Patagonia." I couldn't leave "Don't Cry For Me.....?" as a clue because that's a dead giveaway. Now, julieloves2knit(who's a beenie for preemie machine) guessed New Zealand and that was in the right hemisphere, so she gets a magnificent souvenir fridge magnet.(I'll track you down for details) I was just outside Esquel in Patagonia, Argentina and I rank it as one of the top 5 naturally beautiful places in the western hemisphere. And the flyfishing is amazing--rainbows, browns and 22-inches is not unusual, all catch-and-release--yay!
Now, let's take a look at what a grown woman in waders looks like: Sanitation Engineer or Ethel Mertz off duty from the canning factory. Take your pick.


We had a marvelous time as fly-fishing is our happy medium for Mr. Mary to be in the great outdoors and I can do something productive and challenging instead of slogging along on a hike, being told to shut up and admire at the view. Even the boys got gold stars on their behavior report cards from the grandparents( teeth brushing, not so good). Do I dare plan next year's trip....?

I grabbed projects at the last minute(taxi waiting) which means I didn't work on any of them but started a new one instead. My sister-in-law had crocheted a granny square baby blanket while she was pregnant and I remembered there being leftovers at my MIL's house. Soooo...we have the Granny Pentagon(what a cool mistake that was) baby blanket that I'm crocheting for an old friend in Argentina. Hope sprung eternal that this would be done in time to give her in Esquel, but it came back home with me. I bought some more Tahki cotton classic(roughly same colors) and will get this finished by the time she arrives in Montana with newborn and 2-yr old in tow. Such is the life of a fly-fishing guide's wife.





GEORGE'S FACELIFT
There was one last legacy from Archie RIP. Well, he truly ripped off George's eyes in a fit of Brittany birddog madness and I found a great way to use up your newbie handspun--STUFFING. Now, George has a distinctly rogueish air about him and Bandit's a happy boy.


Eat your heart out, Orlando Bloom!

6 comments:

Zonda said...

Wow! The place looks gorgeous! Welcome back!

Ethel! I loved her! :) Besides, it's much better than the alternative! :)

Hilde C. said...

Welcome back! That scenery is breathtaking! And I think you look great in your waders :-)

HPNY Knits said...

Mary- the photos of you flyfishing- priceless!! you look awesome! and you got a fish. trout?
I love you granny sq. "mistake" its think out of the box cool!
welcome back!

plastic surgery next!

Batty said...

Yay, you're back, and it looks like you had a great time!

The crocheted blanket is fabulous, what a neat mistake!

lobstah said...

Now that looks like an exotic vacation! So neat. And those kittens...SQUEEE! I want to take them all!

Bonnie said...

Ooooh fun! We have been wanting to go to Patagonia but cannot find a trip that is around 6 days.

Any advice? Glad you had a good time.