Wednesday, March 7

SPRING BREAK

I will be far away in a distant land until March 18. Guess where! Read on...
I would be remiss if I didn't thank Bonnie for the scrumptious goodies from Costa Rica. My smiley face box made its way BACK to the USA full of coffee, chocolate, seasonings and a cool calendar now buried under my kids' homework. I would have photographed this loot, but...um...we ate and drank it all. Abrazos, chica!
Time for the annual 'dump the kids and bolt' vacation. My in-laws have only so many miles left in their tires and we're taking full advantage before they demand complete parental supervision for our future visits.
Here I am modeling Robincat's roving ala Vermeer with a faux elephant head and flowers.(don't freak out--I just washed my hair and pulled it back. Really, really.) She gave me a little batt to play with as seen above. It's amazing how tight and thin you spin some roving then it immediately puffs up after plying. I've got a long way to go on that front but...
I did make good progress on my flyfishing wardrobe at Cabela's in Buda. This place is like the Harrod's of hunting, fishing and general outdoor gear. They have a lock on the taxidermy market with a very helpful staff. AND the cutest, best mannered retired Texan gents I've seen anywhere in a long time. The trick is to go during the week--that's when they've wandered off to 'run a few errands' without the wife. My brother, Redneck, says I'm not the only female to figure this out and they have a real turnout for their annual fishing and game exhibition. Beats hanging out at The Landing Strip next to the airport...not that I'm looking or anything,

but I'd make a real friendly greeter. "Hey, hon, is that a Walther P38 or you just happy to be here?"
So while this Mama Cat is away I know Neko will be working hard to destroy my wheel. Don't worry about Chuy, he's with his personal trainer in Hutto, home of the Hippos.

Sooo...flyfishing...travel....new gear. Any ideas? If you guess correctly I will send you a souvenir fridge magnet or item of my choice that you'd never dream of giving to your nasty little nephew. Think of a book with 'motorcycle' in the title. Dead giveaway. Now, if you pinpoint a more exact location you'll get a knitty surprise. (don't worry, it won't be my handspun) Songs have lines about it!

12 comments:

The Fluffy Ewe said...

Oooooo, a trip! Lucky you! Mine aren't old enough for the "drop n run" thing yet so I am envious!!

I'm going to guess you are going to the NW area of Washington. I'll even go further and say the Olympic Penninsula. How a book works into the deal, I dunno. The only book I can think of with motorcycle in the title is The Mouse and The Motorcycle. Lol

Hilde C. said...

Have a wonderful spring break! :-)

Jessica said...

Have fun on your vacation.

Buda, TX. "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"

I think....

tatjana said...

Is it ok if I make a crown out of my roving too? It just looks like so much fun :D And I am crazy for your bollywood stumps, they are just the most fabulous things ever!!! I'm starting to get excited about moving and getting a new place to decorate...you think that buyer you got the vinyle from has any more? ;)

ikkinlala said...

I'm guessing Montana, maybe somewhere near Bozeman. I hope you have a great time, wherever you're going.

lobstah said...

I also guess Montana...or Alaska! Sounds like a great adventure.

I love your medieval style portrait.

knitten kitten said...

Wow. I love your site. All your stuff is great.

Jacque
from the gulf coast region of your great state.

Zonda said...

Well I have no clue, but it sounds nice and relaxing!! Have a great time! :)

Knitting Ewe said...

You look very pretty with roving hair. After some googling I guess somewhere around the North Carolina Tennessee Boarder, perhaps the Telico River?

Batty said...

Trips are so much fun!

And your pretty picture with the roving has given me a great idea: I'll buy loads of roving and tell the husband it's part of my Ren Faire outfit!

JulieLoves2Knit said...

Well Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance comes to mind. Flyfishing in the US is pretty limited this time of year (Unless you live near the Deschutes or the Metolius -which I do) Montana, Wyoming, Idaho - too frozen still - no hatching going on there...so my guess is New Zealand - you said it was a far away land!!
Dream Knit Peace

Mary Drew said...

Of course you must be coming to Montana! I'll guess the Blackfoot River...no, the Yellowstone. Livingston, MT. Oh well. Did you bring any knitting?