Friday, March 2

YPF: Arts&Crafts

Come and get yer pr0n!
Koigu, #P602Koigu, #P602
Koigu, color P602.
I know, I know. This looks suspiciously like the Colinette Jitterbug that I got back in October. I'm a sucker for any pink/orange colorway. Here's the black leather cord knitted up with some black rayon cord from the stash:
Leather and Rayon cordI tried to crochet with the leather, but it was too dang stiff. I switched to size 8mm/11 needles and figured I'd get a whole lot more yardage out of my 4 spools if I knitted it. IF I were hip, cool and lived in NYC, I'd considered knitting a leather jacket out of the stuff. IF I had about $180 to blow on the leather cording that is. This is sold in small amounts mainly to jewelry makers. I even looked into 'pleather' and the prices aren't much better. AND 1mm or .5mm would be easier to work with than the 2mm that I've got. IF I see a knitted leather jacket on the runways next fall, this may look like a bargain after all.

Spring has arrived and out of nowhere there are buds and shoots--red bud treepink vinyl upholstered tree stumps
Pink vinyl+gold fringe+tree stumps=Bollywood in the Burbs.

I recently bought a copy of Craftivity and there was a picture of upholstered tree stumps in NYC that intrigued me. Thanks to eBay, I got the pink vinyl and gold finge for next to nothing and bought some foam at Hobby Lobby--so each stump came out to about $12. This a really fun, clever book that marries the creative with the practical. Would I make everything in there?--uh, no. But I would use this book as a starting point for inspiration and resources for my next fit of craftiness.

BUT the fun doesn't stop there, folks! The pink flamingoes were looking a little faded, lacked oomph and had zero 'irritate the neighborhood' factor. I resorted to one of my absolute favorite products of all time--spray paint. And now I'm the proud owner of.....pink flamingopink flamingopink flamingo with zebra stripes

painted pink flamingoesPUNK FLAMINGOES!

I even celebrated my new ghettofab front yard with the obligatory diet coke/mentos experiment with the boys. AND it's March 2, Texas Independence Day, when everybody goes out for TexMex and margaritas to celebrate our independence from Mexico in 1836. Later, we put on our coonskin hats and watch John Wayne in The Alamo, looking for stray mentos under the seat cushions.
diet coke/mentos

10 comments:

sgeddes said...

I love the colors in the koigu. Those upholstered stums are a great idea.

Hilde C. said...

You’re the queen of pr0n :-)
Have you tried e-bay to see if there’s any cheap leather cord there?
I love the upholstered tree stumps. I painted my kitchen garden in that exact color, and that has probably got the same influence on the neighbors that your punk flamingos have. I believe it’s a good thing that someone brightens up the neighborhood :-)

HPNY Knits said...

the leather looks great next to the koigu! its very interesting how it knits up. to be totally cool, knit smaller item than a coat...
I'll have to look for those tree stumps. have never seen them. looks interesting.
we are yet to do the cola/mentos thing. I'll wait for outdoor time... can't believe you cherries are in bloom.

Angelina said...

Well YEEHAAAW little darlin! Everything looks fabu ;) See you soon!

Batty said...

Thank you, you just made my day!

Liz said...

I'd love to have some of those flamingos in my front yard!
My sister got me Craftivity for Christmas, and there really is a lot of inspiration in that book.

lobstah said...

OMG I'm in love with those flamingos. I think that you might be able to get a little business going selling those...

get stitchy! said...

Congratulations! You're on get stitchy!

Thanks so much for submitting your blog.

Renee - one of your knitting buds said...

Lord, Mary, I can always count on you for a giggle or three a day.

Twitchy Knitter said...

Punk Flamingoes Rock! Love 'em. I am so stealing that idea.