Friday, April 20

Malabrigo laceweight, color 125 'mariposa'
Malabrigo laceweight baby merino, color 125, 'mariposa.'
This stuff is obscenely soft--it'll make your toes curl. Get this and who needs these? Squeeze it a couple of times and you'll want a cigarette afterwards.

I have a perverse knack for picking out the odd duck colorway in handpainted yarns. Witness this gloomy Malabrigo that I bought over Christmas. So, when I saw Malabrigo had a laceweight, did I go for the perky pink and yellow 'melilla' or the soothing shades of 'verdeazul?' Uh, no. Breaking from my pink/rose/red habit, I opted for this aqua/muddy lime/yellow blend that I would have called 'robin's egg bites the dirt.' Still, I like it and it's destined to become the curved shawl with diamond edging from Victorian Lace Today.

Thanks to Knitty, Trillian42 and I had a swap earlier this week. I sent her some Berroco denim silk and this arrived in the mailbox. 16 ounces of domestic wool roving from the Springwater Fiber Workshop. I pounced on this purply beauty and immediately spun up some samples. This is a good honest wool--more sweater than shawl or something close to the skin.


Here's my attempt at 2-ply laceweight. The color becomes a more homogeneous mauve, which pretty much kills the drama. Not bad, but I wasn't all giddy about this on a 3mm/3 needle. Next!

This is the single ply, knitted up on size 4mm/6, which gives me strong colors but that mauve still dominates and that stockinette looks a bit feeble and sad. Next!









Here's my first attempt at Navajo plying and you can just call me one happy asdzani. Once I saw the words 'slip knot' and 'like crocheting with your hand' did it all come into place. I have a long way to go, but I love the texture and how I can keep the colors a lot sharper. This was knitted up on a size 4mm/6 which will be perfect for a simple cardigan with some diagonal manoeuvres with an inset cable panel.


Later today, I'm going to the booksigning for Amy Singer at Hill Country Weavers. There will be some kind of mad confluence of Knitty people, bloggers, SnBers and local knitters. I'll be the one with a happy, dazed look in her eyes.

8 comments:

lobstah said...

I love the yarn you spun up. It's beautiful!

cpurl17 said...

I can attest to the Malabrigo lace weight softness.

Trillian42 said...

See, I KNEW you would do justice to that purple goodness much better than I could.

And that Malabrigo? YUM!

Zonda said...

Love the handspun! All those colors! Hehehe! on the Malabrigo!!

HPNY Knits said...

ok- now I HAVE to get the Malabrigo laceweight baby merino. LOL!
I love your hand spun and all the different ways you tries with it. I am still to learn how to do the 2 ply properly. they all look intersting.
book party sounds like fun!
:-)

Garngamen said...

Does Malabrigo come in light-weight? Not overhere in Sweden, but Im knitting the thicker, and it is so soft and fantastic, my favourite yarn right now. And you spinning- and colourchoice, Im impressed. Navajo plying is no easy business. Impressive.

Put a Sock in it said...

Never mind squeezing, I want a ciggie just looking at that Malabrigo! I think the colours are gorgeous—right up my alley. :)

Your spinning is beautiful too. It'll look lovely knitted into cables.

Zuma said...

I love the roving you spun up! Amazing that you can get so many different variations just based on how you spin it. I do like the color that came through with the 2-ply... but can see why you like the Navajo plying better.