Friday, April 13

YPF: Spring Green and New Kitty

Tahki Chelsea Silk, 65%silk/35% wool.

I was tidying up the other day when I came across a UFO older than my kids. It was the completed back to a cardigan that I started probably back in 1993 or 1994. I bought the Chelsea Silk in a yarn shop in the San Juan islands and I can't remember which one. The shop wasn't in town but out in the country in a one story house/building--any ideas? I do remember the dh paying me $100 to sing 'Mack the Knife' on karaoke night at the hotel bar, never to be repeated EVER.
Anyway, I frogged the back, washed and dried the yarn and I was thinking about making Cinxia from Knitty. I downloaded the pattern when I realized that the yarn starting moaning 'Noooooooo, not another cardigan! Please, please, can't I be a spring bow-tie wrap with some zippy Noro Tidiori thrown in? You could make a really fun skirt to go with me!'
Sheesh. Alright, already. Have it your way.

Cats and Karma or Just Like My Momma Used To Do

I got a phone call the other day from a woman who saw our 'lost cat' flyers wanting to know if we ever found Neko. She heard the sad story and asked if I might be interested in her 2-year old tabby female. Her in-laws, who are locals, are allergic to cats and it's becoming a real problem when they're visiting. She described her as affectionate, used to dogs, and strictly an indoor cat. She also mentioned that the cat's mother used to live on our street. Well, that clinched the deal right then and there. She and her daughter brought this little grey tabby over and the boys and I immediately went 'Awwwwwww.' So, now we have a new family member---FIONA!
Now, none of this was discussed with Mr. Mary, who was at the office. My mother used to come home with a dog, or more commonly, new cats and that was that. Made sense to me and it still does--hey, I'm the food bowl lady, vet liaison and chief information officer of animal affairs.

I made a batch of Texas Pecan Pie Bars from The Pastry Queen to soften up the dh. I think I'll have to make every damn recipe in the book before he chills out. Fiona is settling in nicely and is so affectionate that we're slightly stunned after the no-nonsense personality of Neko.

So when someone says, 'When one door closes, another one opens,' they're right!

7 comments:

Zonda said...

Fiona is so cute!! I'm drooling over the Texas Pecan Bars!!

Really pretty yarn! Survived all this time to tell you "how" it wants to be knit huh? ;)

Karoke..I bet that was interesting! :)

turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh Fiona is pretty! A grey tabby! With green eyes! Congratulations on your new family member!

And Sahara is gorgeous!

Bonnie said...

I agree with the rights of the CIOAA (cheif info officer of animal affairs). I too hold that post in house and somehow the Prime Minister of BBQ holds veto power.

We had a cute stray dog in our condo complex that I named Butters and tried to catch. My plan was to adopt him. But the Prime Minister of the BBQ said no.

Good for you and I adore Fiona.

Garngamen said...

Now you are posting faster then I read! I was just getting a big breath to say something about the yarnshop that was just enchanting. Pictures of yarnshelfs are scary, I stare on them for hours, and hey, you fill me with Texas pecan Pie bars,yummmy, Fiona (what a cute one) and another rare yarn. Mounthwatering- Mary mounthwatering blog. Amazing. And I got that Guanaco all wrong. You DIDN't get it, but cheap great original yarn is also a great buy? Im sure that was a trip to remember. So, how many countries have you been to? Come-on a globetrotter like you? Give us a list. (And your yarn-score for each country ;-)

Hilde C. said...

What a beauty she is :-)

Knitting Ewe said...

Congrats - she's beautiful!

Cole said...

I'm a little behind on my blog reading but I want to offer my congrats to you on Fiona. She is absolutely adaorable and I am sure Neko would approve. May she warm your heart and your DH's. No pet ever really replaces one lost but they all somehow manage to make you fall in love with them and find their own special place in your heart.