Thursday, May 24

handspun merino/silk

handspun merino/silkmerino/silk handspun

merino/silk handspun
Handspun merino/silk

Zen Mama came to SnB last Sunday and plopped down three skeins of this merino/silk handspun that she was happy to put up for adoption. I was immediately drawn to the colors that ranged from a dark black purple to a tawny grey lilac. I thought of rich Italian silks and brocades which led me to think of...Casanova. The DH once wrote an unpublished mystery involving Casanova and Ben Franklin in Paris, circa 1783. Casanova was a character who was curious, intelligent and continually reinventing himself while he mingled with royalty all over Europe. He was always a step or two ahead of the law and various irate husbands. So, while he may have had commitment issues and a loose definition of the truth, his taste was exquisite.

Rowan Linen Print shawl, detailRowan linen print shawl
This is a shawl I just made for the truly marvelous, witty and infectious librarian at my kids' school. She has this ability to get even the most bookphobic kids interested in reading. And she immediately opened up my gift, wrapped it around her shoulders and said, "I can't believe you made this for me!" That's when I started grinning idiotically and practically said "Aw shucks, m'am."

Rowan Linen Print, col. 349 (70% viscose/ 30% linen)
15 mm/ 19 US needles
I cast on lengthwise and knitted up a few rows in garter stitch before 2 repeats of honeycomb lace. I switched to Turkish stitch with a garter stitch border on the sides before reversing my honeycomb repeats and working the final few rows in garter. It may be a bit clunky for you laceweight people, but the yarn makes for a nice wrap that will take the chill off when the AC is blasting. Oh, and the librarian said it was perfect for covering up her upper arms--I hear ya, sister.

Sago Palm, cycas revoluta
Sago palm

I enjoy seeing everyone's garden/flower shots, so here's a few more from the yard. I planted three artichokes as an experiment last year and they will not quit. They have big Jurassic leaves and send up a lone stalk with the choke. Here are the first tomatoes of the season that I found hiding deep in the bed. The dh rarely roams the property, so these babies are mine, all mine!
artichokeearly tomatoes 2007

Meyer lemon blossomThis little Meyer Lemon blossom has more scent than a spritzer girl at Nordstrom's.

Amy Singer was in town recently to sign her book No Sheep For You. You may also know her as the mastermind behind Knitty.com. And so a bunch of us Knittyheads arrived at Hill Country Weavers to swig Shiner Bock, chat and knit on a hot spring afternoon. It feels a little strange to introduce yourself as 'Mary, Mary' to a grown-up woman who clearly has perfectly good hearing.

Her patterns are fun, but I really enjoyed the first section of the book where she explains the different qualities of non-wool fibers. It was her unabashed love of Hand Maiden Sea Silk that got me to indulge. Yeah, I'd say her taste was pretty exquisite.
Me and Amy Singer at Hill Country Weavers(notice how I cleverly cropped our arms? heh-heh-heh)

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

OMG!!! The wrap is gorgeous. I have been looking for a pattern like this for a very long time.

I knew what I wanted but wasn't exactly sure I wanted until I saw yout post. Now I just need to look up honeycomb lace pattern.

Hilde C. said...

The handspun is just gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!! Oh, I love those colours too. And what a lucky librarian :-)

I can't believe that you've got tomatoes already. My tomatoplants are between 2 and 10 inches tall, and are faaaar from producing any tomatoes. I'm dreaming of tomatoes, basil and mozarella in the autumn.

The picture of the Sago palm is unbelievable! :-)

Zonda said...

drooling........that is some gorgeous yarn! Nice work on the wrap! Wow, that Sago Palm is wild!

JulieLoves2Knit said...

Tomatoes already! Mine just went into the ground and I won't see Red until September. Then it will freeze and we'll be done. Very short growing season here - 60 days tops between freeze. Lucky you! I love artichokes!!

gilraen said...

What fabulous yarn!!!! I love it and the colour to bits.

Lovely photography and tomatoes :)

Batty said...

That yarn is lovely!

I'm all for giving pretty handknits to librarians. It makes them very, very happy. : )