Friday, August 10

Ask Mary, Mary

In my ongoing efforts to provide you with entertaining and informative knitting blog content, I will indulge myself in creating a Q&A section titled..."Ask Mary, Mary" where I ask myself questions and proceed to answer them. (This is also an easy dodge for no pix or FOs to report).

Dear Mary, Mary,
So where the hell have you been for the past 3 weeks?
Yours truly, Mad&Marvelous

Dear M&M,

Well, first we celebrated my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary with a family reunion in Tampa/St. Pete. Fun was had by all, especially when I rode a JetSki for the first time with Bandit in front and my 10-yr old niece hangin' on for dear life in the back. I topped out at 32 mph and was politely asked to slow down by my fellow passengers. It rained most of the time which gave us a full afternoon at the Salvador Dali museum. I then immediately shipped my boys off to Camp Longhorn, a sleep-away camp that I went to back in the 70's. Mr. Mary and I have been basking in the glow of an empty house, if you catch my drift. Oh, and I'm now on Ravelry--just look for, you got it, marymary.

Yo, Mx2,
Did you catch the new issues of Vogue Knitting and Interweave Knits? Were they lame or what? Mary&Rhoda

Dear M&R,
Yes, I was a bit disappointed with both issues and for different reasons. I loved VK's 20th anniversary issue and I was looking forward to another keeper. Instead, I had to slog through the mutual admiration society articles featuring 'old school' designers and 'new school' with the notable absence of Amy Singer. The sidebar interview with Barbara Walker was definitely worth the price of the mag and made me cackle with fiendish glee. I am going to personally write La Belle Dame Sans Merci aka Babs and thank her for not giving into the smug sycophancy shared by the others. The patterns--eh. And if VK is ever interested in featuring a plus-sized and over 18 model, I will be more than happy to oblige. And don't even get me started on the poorly lit tone-on-tone photos.
Interweave Knits just didn't blow my skirt up. Can't explain why exactly. At least, they've branched out on the models. Unfortunately, with the same Tweeds Catalog circa 1990 photography.
Both magazines have new editors which means they have to piss on the fence and redesign their respective publications. I like Eunny Jang(IK) and hope editing doesn't overrule her creativity.

Dear Mary, Mary
Are you sure you're not sharing something else with us, you little hand-biter?
Cheers, Marytini

Dear Marytini, you boozy wench,
Yeah, yeah, here I am venting about VK when they asked to use one of my photos on their website. It was a nice surprise and you can see it here on their community photo gallery page. Just scroll down and look for me in the Holiday 05 red jacket. So, that should eat up about 1 minute of my alleged 15 minutes of fame. Probably less, if they check blogs.

Dear Mary, Mary
Any recommendations for beach reading?
regards, Marion the Librarian

Dear MtL,

I whipped through Harry Potter #7 in about 2 days. No spoilers here, but I smell 'Big Chill' HP reunion in about 3-5 years. All this basking and glowing, got me wandering through the romance section of my local big chain bookstore. Holy cats! Who fired the censors? The titles haven't changed much...."Wild, Wicked, & Wanton," "Forbidden Pleasures," "Somebody's Lover," and "Naughty Paris" are just a few titles I sampled...but I missed the clit lit revolution. And what's with all the vampires? It seemed like every other book had hot vampire-on-vampire action. I was disappointed not to find "Buffy Does Dallas," but I'm sure that's in the works. Three cheers for the romance industry for realizing that there's more to erotica than Nancy Friday and Anais Nin.

Well, gang, that's it. We pick up the boys at camp tomorrow, so I better tidy up around here and straighten the chandelier.

8 comments:

Annie said...

I can't wait to send my kid to summer camp. Eh hem.

Zonda said...

Hehe, thanks for the laughs, I needed them. Sounds like a wild week at your house ;)

HPNY Knits said...

we certainly missed ya'! sound like you are having a great summer so far!!
congrats on the 15 minutes fame!!! you are a knitting celeb now!

Batty said...

Yay, you're back, and you're as funny as ever! If I hadn't been so busy working and chasing cats, I would have stopped by sooner, but here I am.

I think I need to do some of that tidying up too... yech.

Hilde C. said...

I'm glad to hear that you're having a lovely summer time - and the picture of you on the VK site is just great ! :-)

Garngamen said...

You are craaaazy... Im laughing so hard I cry. Glad you are back...... Vacations are GREAT! just three more days for me!

Robin said...

Dear Mary, When are you going to post your results of the sniff-o-rama? I had to blog mine today before I forgot.

HPNY Knits said...

because you rock! you are declared rocking girl blog!
come and get your badge from my blog!
you go girl.