Friday, August 24

Battery Empty

FO ALERT
Child's Striped Top Down Raglan
Yarn: Bouton d'Or 4 Teen's Acrylique.
Standard issue pattern and I changed colors whenever I felt like it.

That groovy gang at Bd'O thought they'd punch up the French label on the packaging with the line, "Debutantes: It's my first "triko"!" As opposed to, you know, "Passing out at parties is no fun and Mother got really pissed off when I barfed chunks on her Narciso Rodriguez. So, Chessie and I hooked up with a couple of geezer guys from the club and now I can pay that shitty drycleaning bill!"




DIY Fiesta Craft Apron, made from Mexican oilcloth, scrap denim and cotton webbing

I was spinning some merino/tencel earlier this week when I realized that I needed to make a run to the store. I'm at the register when I look down at my skirt. Good Lord, I looked like I had been going mano a mano at lucha libre with the Persian cats from the Fancy Feast commercial. I even had a piece of roving stuck to the back of my t-shirt which I'm sure cemented my reputation as the whack mom who lets the neighborhood kids run riot through the house while she spins, knits and watches shows on the DIY channel.

Here's my cheapo and easy solution: Grab a lightweight oilcloth tablecloth and a chef's apron that you wear. Using the chef's apron as a template, place it on top of the oilcloth and cut along the lines of the fabric. Sew cording/ribbon/webbing to sides and for the neck. Add a large pocket to the top if you need a parking place for reading glasses, tv remotes, iPods, cell phones, etc...
You can finish off the seams if you want to get all fancy about it. I don't find wearing it hot in my air-conditioned living room and I fold down the top if I don't need to lug stuff around. The oilcloth means that I can use this for dyeing with dignity.

I was going to take some pix of other projects, but both cameras gave me the 'battery empty' message. Dang it, my battery's empty, too. I've got to hunt down an old pincushion for Tex to use as a voodoo doll, Bandit wants to make Jell-O pudding by himself and I should make some effort to corral all the DIY/Crafts/Fiber stuff back into the yarncave. School starts Monday...happy hour starts now.

9 comments:

Zonda said...

Love that apron! Nice sweater too! Hehe on the shopping expedition with a little extra! Have a great day on Monday...you know...after they leave :)

Batty said...

That sweater is very cute. I think I'd wear one of those, and I'm over 30. Nice apron too. It's very happy and colorful.

Robin said...

Ooohhh... I need one of those aprons! The sweater came out very nice! Love those colors!

turtlegirl76 said...

That sweater is awesome. I'd totally wear that. And great idea on the apron!

Guro said...

Love the sweater! And the apron is very nice and useful too.

Sue, aka seiding said...

Hey, that apron turned out great! Love the sweater, too!

Adrienne said...

Love the sweater and the apron!

Lauren said...

The sweater turned out nice!

Hilde C. said...

Lovely colors both on the sweater and the apron. It's great to see a picture of you spinning, it looks really interesting. I just have to try that sometimes :-)