Friday, November 30

FO Friday

Boy, when I wasn't busy giving thanks for a five day holiday, interminable political campaigns and Helio winning 'Dancing With the Stars' in the past week, I was stuck indoors with the dog, cat and kids thanks to cold, wet weather. They played Halo3 and mind games while I finished some WIPs. Let's take a look, shall we?
Really Big Regia 6-ply SocksThese are the huge Regia 6-ply socks that I had been knitting for the DH. Well, now you can squelch all your Sasquatch comments, because they fit him perfectly. I'm not sure what's up with those stripes, but I'm done. Next:
Old Faithful SweaterThis here be "New Old Faithful." I made this sweater for my husband in hopes of replacing the 20-year old indestructible grey acrylic fisherman's rib pullover that his mother bought for him in Spain. Yep, that sweater has got some real emotional baggage. Anyway, I ordered a bunch of Paton's Shetland Chunky in 'Thunder Marl," carefully measured the original and set to work. The sleeves held me up as I picked up stitches and worked them in the round--really bad idea. It was like twirling a beach towel around the needles--over and over again. I got it finished and immediately had Mr. Mary try it on. Too small...what? I glared at him and hissed, "You've gained weight since last year, you gourmet guzzling wine swilling soccer dad! I measured this piece exactly to the old one. Grrrrrr."
FYI--I do growl at people. I even bark sometimes.

It looked great on me but I don't want or need a dead boring drop-sleeved acrylic/wool blend pullover with an Oedipus complex, no matter how great the fit. I figured what-the-hell and chucked it into the washing machine as some kind of ersatz knitter's infanticide. Then, I blocked the dookies out of it and left it to dry overnight. I was awaken the next morning by the vision of my husband wearing a perfectly fitting grey acrylic/wool sweater---mine.

"Uh, can you do something zippy with the neck and the cuffs?"
"Grrrrrrrr."
Zen Turkish Stitch Shawl
My dear friend Sarah wanted to knit something special for a teacher at her kids' school. I gave her an old pattern of mine and she bought a bunch of Berroco Zen. Now, this pattern calls for casting on a gazillion stitches as you're knitting the shawl horizontally. Sarah, being the dutiful advanced beginner knitter, did so and slogged her way through half of the piece...on plastic needles. I offered to finish it for her and immediately switched to my Addis and fairly zoomed through the thing by the time Helio had nailed his last quick step. Apparently, the teacher loved it--a lot. Yay, Sarah!

Noro/Debbie Bliss Pork Pie Hat
This little number is the result of some leftover Debbie Bliss Alpaca/Silk and a skein of Noro Silk Mountain that I had picked up somewhere. I just kinda goofed off with it and then decided I wanted a flat crown, instead of a round one. It has a fun porkpie/80s ska handknit vibe to it, like some rudegirl grew up and became a whack knitter. Uh, I guess that would be me.

Venus Fly TrapI even helped my kid kill some flies and feed to them to the Venus Flytrap for his science project. I'm on a roll, people.

FionaWhat can I say? Even Fiona, the Part-Time Cat, deigned to join us for a little face time.

8 comments:

Ava said...

everything's lovely, but especially love the hat!

HPNY Knits said...

you are always doing fun stuff! the hat is very cool!

Batty said...

Wow, you really are on a roll! Great knitting. And you even killed flies to feed to a plant. That's love, right there. I don't see anyone but a child of my very own being able to talk me into killing flies so we can feed them to a plant.

sgeddes said...

Everything looks great - my favorite is the hat too!

Good work on finishing lots of projects. Yo might have to steal that wsweater back. It looks great on you!

Renee said...

Wear the sweater with one of your killer skirts. That should work. Good to see you are your regular, crazycool self. Hope your holidays remain fun. See ya, Renee

Annie said...

Damn, girl. I'll have whatever it is that you're having!

Ceci said...

Whee! What a great post. I always look forward to your blog. :) I'm glad the hubby got into the sweater after all. The only thing worse than finishing a sweater that doesn't fit is finishing a BORING sweater than doesn't fit. I have to say though, those socks are FABULOUS. And where ever did you get a Venus flytrap plant??

Bonnie - Tropical Knits said...

Who knew sweaters had emotional baggage!?!

You are most definitely on a roll.