Friday, November 2

Red Sox Rock

Red Sox Rock
Hill Country Yarns Sweet Feet Sock Yarn, 100% merino, Cherry Red


I'm still in shock that the Boston Red Sox swept the World Series. They've won twice in 4 years? As a longtime Red Sox fan (for reasons too byzantine to explain easily), this has me all startled and confused. I was more in my comfort zone when they were down 3-1 against the Cleveland Indians. The drama, that pending sense of doom and the nailbiting finishes were the stuff that we fans thrive on. Reminded me of the good times when they had to battle it out with the Yankees until 2 am every night back in 2004. And my children are getting a skewed view of the Red Sox because they think their favorite baseball team (it gets passed down genetically) are a bunch of winners. The only way to restore my angst is if they sign Alex Rodriguez and trade Mike Lowell to the Dodgers where he'll play for (gasp!) Joe Torre. Now, that will keep my fingernails short and ragged.

It's been non-stop funfunfun around here. First, there was the school carnival where I stood around for 3 hours watching 500 kids caroming all over the schoolyard, secretly praying that neither one of my boys would win the cake walk.
Cherie Amour then made her debut at the Renaissance Festival the following day. I found a long grey skirt at Goodwill to which I added velvet panels and a bit of trim at the bottom. I was RenFaire Lite compared to the beautifully detailed costumes that Ana and Robin wore. Unfortunately, my camera's battery was dying and I didn't get any decent pics.

We had fun walking around, eating turkey legs and checking out the various festival goers that seemed to fall into different categories: traditional chainmail/kilt guys with women in elaborate corsets/long flowing skirts; goth angels from hell all dressed in black leather, pixie girls with green eye shadow and a few strategically placed pieces of chiffon; fairies who looked just the pixies except they had wings; lesbian pub wenches with leather corsets, heaving bosoms and dog collars; codpiece lovers; and, finally, white fishnet hose lady who left very little to the imagination. Yeah, the boys had a good time checking her out.


All this pageantry got us in the spirit for Halloween.

Here's Bandit as a pin cushion, while I got wacky with the aluminum foil. Yep, I was a sex thimble. Go ahead and groan, but the kid came home with 5 pounds of candy while his brother who went in the 'last-minute bloody shredded t-shirt costume' came home with a very meager haul. Originality pays every time. I think Bandit should be a cockroach next year and I can be a venus flytrap. Oh, the possibilities...


14 comments:

lobstah said...

Yeah, definitely a shock that they won again!! I don't feel like I was as involved as last time, though, as I just could not keep myself awake for the games, ugh.
The pincushion is perhaps one of the greatest costumes I've ever seen. The only thing that comes close was when sister's 1983 Halloween costume--a record player! lol!

Batty said...

Great costumes! The Sex Thimble goes really well with the Friday Yarn Pron.

HPNY Knits said...

pin cushion! brilliant! well done. and you don't look too bad yourself sex thimble!

sgeddes said...

Those are two excellent Halloween costumes! I don't think I've seen any as good.

Annie said...

The costumes are brilliant! And the pumpkin, oh man, I am stealing that for next year!

turtlegirl76 said...

Awesome pincushion costume! Your companion costume makes it all the better! Hee!

Garngamen said...

Pin-cushion, how creative! I also love the sick Pumpkin. You are hilarious! What a treat. Have a great Halloween my friend.

Renee said...

You and the kid - very cool. Vomiting pumpkin - priceless. Renee

Hilde C. said...

The pincushion costume is great! You really are a clever and creative woman :-)

maxine said...

Sex thimble had me laughing out loud to which my DW asked, "What's so funny?" I explained and she said, "Oh, another knitting friend..."

Precisely!

Yvette said...

Seriously pretty Cherie Amour. I've been admiring the pattern for some time and am now convinced that I must knit one.

ceci said...

I actually didn't GET 'sex thimble' until I said it outloud. Duuuuh. I love the costumes. You are supermom!

HobbyZu said...

Hi there! Just passing by, and had to say your vomitting pumpkin is hilarious! Those costumes are really great too! :-)

Siddis-in-houston said...

We have been to the renaissance festival too. Have to go every year, it is alot of fun. Now we had the quilt festival last week and the Nutcracker marked today, my feet is hurting! Happy Knitting!