Tuesday, December 11

Putting the Mary in Christmas

A.L. de Sauveterre Estelle cashmereBriar rose

Every year, I drag myself kicking and screaming into the holiday season especially since we've been living in subtropical climates for the past four years. It's hard to even hibernate when it's 80 degrees outside much less get all cheery and bright. One of the ways that I pre-empt this annual malaise is to be my very own 'Secret Santa.' My Secret Santa just knew that I wouldn't be able to resist a sale on A.L. de Sauveterre's Estelle cashmere at Loop. A couple of these are destined to be gifts which makes me a bit of a double agent in the Santa department, if you can follow my logic.
A.L. de Sauveterre cashmereOrion and Hill of Tara
A.L. de Sauveterre cashmereTobacco

My secret Santa got a little out of hand by ordering a Woolee Winder for my spinning wheel last week. In order to appease my Puritan outrage at such excess (yeah, I've got Vermont roots), I agreed to line a bunch of felted bags made by Pretty Purl over on Ravelry. She brought over 19 and I set to work matching bags with various fabrics. And then she brought over 9 more. I don't know who's more OCD--her or me. But, it's quick work and keeps me from stalking our UPS guy.

Death Poncho 2000I was digging through my sweater chest the other day and found this mouldering at the bottom: Death Poncho 2000! This little gem was something I whipped up after we moved to Paris in 2000. I was soooo ahead of the curve. The fug curve, that is. First, it's chenille. Never to be repeated. Second, it weighs a ton. Third, I looked like a reject from "The Prisoner" the couple of times I wore it. People stared and I'm sure I heard some sniggering, but my French is spotty at best. I thought about converting it into a throw pillow, but now it graces the dogbed.
Feliz NavidadOK, so we've got skeletons on the tree. What's Christmas without a little touch of Halloween?

8 comments:

Annie said...

I want to hang out at your house at Christmas! It looks like all sorts of fun.

Renee said...

It is fun to hang at mary's any time of the year. miss you, ms. mary.

turtlegirl76 said...

*sigh* I just love how you stage your pr0n shoots.

maxine said...

I bet the dog is loving the poncho.

My favorite ornament on my tree at the moment is a Radko called Mr Bones. We leave him hanging out all year.

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

Love that yarn pr0n! Boootiful!

Batty said...

Heh, poncho in Paris... I remember what Parisian women look like, and I feel for you. But fortunately, you have seen the error of your ways! : )

Christmas without Halloween is boring. That's why we have bat ornaments.

Garngamen said...

Haha, Mary Christmas to U 2! You are so great definitely honest... Dog bed haha... so, you dont like chenille? Taste changes, that is for sure!

Hilde C. said...

Merry Christmas :-)