Friday, February 8

Collection vs. Stash

WINTRY MIX

Clockwise from top: Judi & Co. rayon ribbon, gifted hand-dyed wool, Tilli Tomas rock star atmosphere col. 3033, my hand-dyed silk 



From left to right:  Judi & Co. rayon ribbon, gifted hand-dyed wool, Tilli Tomas rock star atmosphere col. 3033, my hand-dyed silk

So, when does your stash become a collection?
I was mulling this over as I grabbed this group of yarn to photograph. I was gifted the Tilli Tomas and the Judi&Co. about 2 years ago. Later, I dyed the silk because I was trying to capture the essence of pearl grey. Then, Zen Mama brought the hand-dyed wool that had been gifted to her to SnB and I nabbed it, remembering my 'grey collection.' I like to stay monochromatic when mixing different yarn textures and I think I've got enough here to make a retro 50s bolero--with the beads along the edges and cuffs.

I don't think it's matter of having, say, ten skeins in one color. That's practical as you can always make a garment/shawl/something out of that amount. I'm talking about trawling sale bins and online shops for additions to the currently existing collection that you already have. I have collections mostly based on lots of colors in one particular yarn for those future mythical pieces from Poetry in Stitches and Norsk Strikkedesign. Let's see...I've got a healthy amount of Dale Svale, GGH Mystik, Bouton d'Or merinosoie and Rowan Silk Wool DK. I bought 2 skeins of the Rowan in robin's egg blue while in London. I came across the same yarn in a great red at a LYS, then I added a couple more skeins in cream to balance out the blue and red thinking future argyle. There's also my Noro collection of their more offbeat offerings such as Cotton Kureyon(eBay) and Ganpi Abaka Tape(sale bin) plus a stray skein of Noro mohair in lipstick red. Why did I buy the mohair? I had never seen Noro mohair before, there was one skein left and it was a souvenir of our trip to Tokyo. So, is it me or is collecting yarn normal?

Speaking of collections, all you sewing/fashion people should check out this auction of Poiret originals. If I were the hot young thing in Hollywood I'd wear #53 to the Oscars. Later, when I already had won a couple plus a Palme d'Or, I'd wear #83 with jet beads. I'd slip into #81 (a blue jacket) with a cream silk t-shirt, tweedy brown slacks and a sharp pair of sling-backs for my Vanity Fair interview. But....I'm a 44-year old soccer mom in Texas swiggin' Shiner Black Lager on a Friday afternoon waiting for the boys to get home. I bought this hoodie to replace the one I swiped from my DH. All right, Mr. de Mille, I'm ready for my close-up...

Kidrobot Yo Gabba Gabba! Muno sweatshirt.

6 comments:

HPNY Knits said...

So, when does your stash become a collection?

when you have two.....

lovely collection you have, if I might add!

Hilde C. said...

Beautiful yarn pictures as always! When do stash become a collection? I don't know, but I really liked the "Collection" word better than the "Stash" word. So now I'm thinking of calling my stash a collection instead :-)

turtlegirl76 said...

Mmm...your collection is beautiful. And it sounds so much more full of potential than the word "stash"

Garngamen said...

Oh, Collection is in the eye of a beholder. It is a collection, it is memories, they are precious like jewels. And your coloursense is fab - as is the pictures. Handyed silk. Yummy.. Thanks for cheering me up today.

nancy said...

So, I'm scrolling through admiring your lovely new knits when this self-portrait, "Soccer Mom With Beer" makes me laugh out loud. LOVE IT.

Ava said...

love the collection - I think it's normal and creative.

I KNOW you can find a place in Austin, Texas, to get dolled up!