Friday, February 22

The Optimist Club of Yarn

Filatura di Crossa Brilla, col. 386
Filatura di Crossa, Brilla, col.386,
future 'airplane cardigan'


I quit smoking. I feel fine. I thank the lovely people who created Chantix for making this possible. I've been knitting up miles of stockinette. I think I've gained 5 lbs already. It's all good. And, if I get a little twingy, I take really deep breaths and think happy thoughts such as "Wow, imagine all the yarn/fiber/books you can buy with the savings!" "The dog will love you even more if you walk him--again." "Cuticles? Who needs stinkin' cuticles?"

I picked up this "merry little hound" of a yarn over the Christmas holidays in Miami. Years ago, I bought a yellow rayon cardigan in Paris for what I thought was a steep price--probably $80. I was in a rush, needed something for the plane trip back to the States, it was a souvenir, right? I threw it into my carry-on, got on the plane and have been wearing it on airplanes ever since. Spring and summer, of course. Heavy enough to cut the chill of air conditioning in airplanes and movie theaters, light enough to throw in a tote bag for a cover-up. 

Well, you know where this is headed...I still have that cardigan, but it's been washed and worn about 5 times too many. It's been put in the same pile with the ratty sweats, really sad faded Red Sox t-shirt, the accidentally bleached shorts and my other gardening clothes. I try (honest) to look presentable in public, but when I'm working in the yard...I'm reminded of that scene with Scarlet O'Hara clutching radishes.                                I'm tired, dirty and sweaty. Don't even think about it.



The Brilla reminds me of the daffodils popping up in my garden--bright, happy, shiny and summery. It always cheers me up. Maybe, I'll adapt the slouchy cardigan pattern from "Knit2Together."
WIP Update: I've ripped out major amounts of my Malabrigo capelet and have worked short rows to offset the angles. They're little marvels of engineering, those short rows. I feel particularly clever when I finish a section like when I mastered parallel parking and how to spell it.
I saw a reference to the Halfobi on Knit Me A River and immediately downloaded the pattern. It's being knit up on some vintage Cotton Kureyon that I scored on eBay.

7 comments:

Batty said...

What an unfortunate name for a yarn. I immediately thought of brillo, which isn't what I want my yarn to feel like. But it looks like very nice yarn, so names can be deceptive.

turtlegirl76 said...

No no, Batty. You must think of it as "BRILLIANT!" For lo, it is shiney and yellow.

lobstah said...

Aww, what a cute picture! And good job on quitting the "cancer sticks"...you can do it!

sgeddes said...

Good job on the cigs! I quit last May - you can do it! I chew gum like a fiend!

I'm looking forward to seeing the Halfobi in the cotton; that sounds great. There is a new wrap pattern called Soho on that site that I just downloaded yesterday that looks good too.

Hilde C. said...

What a wonderful yarn photo! Congratulations on quit smoking. I'm still looking for enough motivation and self dicipline.

Annie said...

You are totally saving money for more yarn! No matter how much yarn and money you may already have, knowing that would be enough motivation for me. :-) Congrats on quitting! And here's to more yarn!

Lynne said...

Thanks for writing this.