Wednesday, April 23

Martha's Vineyard Fiber Fest

General Store Knows Me WellLast weekend, I ran off to Martha's Vineyard for the first annual Fiber Fest. Looks like they were expecting me.

Crazy knitter cuts loose at fiber festThe weather was simply perfect as knitters/crocheters/spinners from near and far gathered to ogle Susan's yarns and watch the shearing. The buzz of the clippers lulled us into some kind of happy trance as we imagined all those lovely fleeces turning into yarn and roving. And calculating how big the CSA shares would be. 

Spring ShearingDo I look fat in this?Chappy's Mom and LiquidLace were there from Ravelry as well as a few others. It was a regular party at the MV Fiber Farm table as the other vendors/farms watched us squealing and laughing. Susan's worsted and lace weight mohair/cormo yarns were serious crack and the colors are spectacular. I had to audibly growl at people to keep them from snagging my pile of "souvenirs." I thought I knew what good wool was UNTIL I got to feel the fleece straight from the sheep. We're talking crystal meth, people. The frothy white wool still coated with lanolin was passed around the group like a joint at a Grateful Dead concert. Then they passed around Basil the baby goat and people started to swoon. And then they got out the Kool-Aid. OK, not really, but dang near. I'm not sure if I could handle a bigger fiber festival. I think I'd have some kind of tactile overload and start blubbering  things like "wawawawawool....pretty yarn...pretty pretty yarn...like yarn...must touch yarn...yarn happy."

Later in the day I checked out a needlepoint display and thought I had wandered into another universe. Hushed tones in an old house with some door prizes, needlepointed pillows and counted cross stitch bunnies. God bless the needlepointers(I have stitched a few pieces myself), but they're not exactly a laugh a minute. And they don't have Basil.


Gay Head coastlineGay Head LighthouseI drove around the empty roads imagining what a nightmare the traffic must be in the summer. I think it may be a Texan thing to immediately hop in the car and drive all the way around the island and time it. It took me just over an hour to cover it and that includes wasting 10 minutes thinking about taking the ferry to Chappaquiddick. Instead, I spent some time near the Gay Head Light House. The whole island was wonderfully empty--just locals and a few mad knitters. No lines to get a lobster roll at Garcia's deli or a table at The Black Dog. Heck, even the teenage girls working at the StopnShop were in a good mood.

The Mansion HouseTha Mansion HouseI stayed at The Mansion House in Vineyard Haven and had a lovely room with chintz and stripes. I wanted room service, privacy and the Red Sox on cable in lieu of the chatty coziness of a B&B. And I got it. Hmm, maybe I should book ahead for next year.....

Oak Bluffs Survey Marker

7 comments:

Hilde C. said...

Oh, that really sounds like a great trip :-)

Susan said...

Hey Mary, I am so excited that you came to our little festival and enjoyed yourself. We loved meeting you and my mom couldn't get over the fact that you traveled all that way to see us. Next time when my house isn't jammed packed with people you'll have to stay with Patrick and I.

Joan said...

Hi Mary - you really packed a lot into your trip.
It was nice meeting you, especially after discovering your blog only a day before the festival.
I'm sure we'll be seeing you again at one of the MV festivals.

jordiw said...

I am dying with envy! Susan and Basil in one trip, plus Cormo yarn, what more could you ask for? My son was visiting me from.......Austin while you were visiting Martha's V. the world is small...

Patrizia's Adventures in Knitting said...

I'm with jordiw - i am so, so envious. I wish you were not so damn cool that I have to get over it and love you anyway. The yarn and the scenery were way, way cool.

lobstah said...

What a lovely looking trip! Avoiding summer crowds = very good thing!

Batty said...

Lovely trip! I have never been to Martha's Vineyard, I think I need to go sometime. It looks so pretty.

Those poor naked sheep! If I didn't know that's where yarn comes from, I'd feel bad for them. As it is... gimme the yarn!