Friday, May 30

HandMaiden Silk Cotton, dandelion
HandMaiden Silk Cotton, 'dandelion'

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words about the hail storm. Even the insurance adjuster said she hadn't seen a storm like that in Austin in forever and then she handed me a check for 2 broken skylights, some dented metal fascia and a piece of corrugated clear plastic with a perfectly round hole in it.

 I bought this to cheer myself up after the mass destruction of my garden. The colors remind me of Provence and the silk/cotton blend is very cool to the touch. I immediately cast on for Lovlund which is a chevron shell normally knit with Noro Hana silk. The angles will break up the horizontal lines which I really don't need to wear these days. (see below)
HandMaiden Silk Cotton, dandelionLovlund, detail
Lovlund detail, Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton, Book Number Two

Busted!

There's no excuse for this. I got caught in a weak moment. A very weak moment. See, I got an e-mail yesterday from Hill Country Weavers that they were having a huge sale today and tomorrow. The sale was so huge that it was in the owner's garage and driveway. I drove over and started scouting out the yarns. Lots of novelty yarns..been there, done that...heavy cotton blends...no, thank you...some sparkly stuff and...hmmm, what's this? S. Charles Merino Cable for $5, Noro Big Kureyon for $9, and Ironstone Flirt for $14. I bought enough of the Merino Cable in assorted colors for another one of my phantom future "colorwork" pieces, some of the Noro for a couple of Blips(blankets in progress) and, well, the Flirt was supposed to be just a bit of silliness. It's an acrylic fuzzy superchunk boucle with 27% wool that is soo soft. So, uh yeah, I bought enough for some kind of wrap. And, please don't remind about my growing collection of big needle wraps. There was a lady ahead of me who snapped up 17 skeins of that Big Kureyon in the same dye lot, so I'm not the only one on the fast track to excess.
Bay tree bud
Now, this really cheers me up! That, and and the fact I'm off to play Knitty Bingo tonight at Gauge. Woohoo!

3 comments:

Hilde C. said...

The HandMaiden Silk Cotton looks gorgeous - and those colours were the exact colours I needed to see today. The weather is unusually hot here right now :-)

turtlegirl76 said...

That silk cotton photo is GORGEOUS! Love the way you set it up, as always.

Kris with a K said...

I was at the sale, too! I scored a ton of random sock yarns for $2 a skein, all to be used on my 'Wrap of Many Colors.' It was a beautiful morning for a sale, wasn't it?