Friday, June 6

Summer days driftin' away...

Summer WIPsfrom left to right: Bamboo top-down raglan shrug, slouchy cardigan with Blue Sky alpaca&silk(my airplane sweater), Lovlund with HandMaiden cotton/silk.

The daily temperatures are in the 90s and working with wool is pretty much out of the question. If I was as monogamous with my knitting projects as I was in my marriage, I'd be the poster child for summer knits. Alas, I've got three WIPs that are at different stages of completion. I just saw a fall/winter 2008 preview from Berroco and thought, "Fine, you guys can't run away from cotton, linen, bamboo and viscose fast enough, but what about the other 2/3 of us sweating schmos that won't see 60 degrees until November 24th?" 

My new highlightsThe dog got shaved and I got my summer clip complete with striped highlights. This is to distract you from the 12 lbs that I've gained since I stopped smoking. I told my kids that this is what Rogue looks like after she leaves X-Men, gets married and has kids. Summer ReadingRecently, I blew through all three books in Sharon Kay Penman's trilogy about Wales and England during the 1100s. Someone mentioned that after reading "The Sunne in Splendour" they actually understood the The War of the Roses. So, here I am, ready to tuck into this 927 page epic, just in time for summer vacation.
Stash fabrics for summer patternsSkirtsThe aforementioned weight gain has me sewing at the moment. I've got some stash fabrics waiting to get matched to patterns and, on the right, are some skirts I've made. That beaded ribbon won't last long, but it's fun. The other two are leftovers from shift dresses that I made years ago.
McCall's MP256Simplicity 3673McCall's MP255I love the 'A' version of the caftan top--kinda like 'Sahara' for the sewing crowd. The 50's dress would be cute in the madras plaid to the far left(above) and I like the simple, clean lines of the dress on the right--maybe one of the big florals with a solid contrast?
Simplicity 2962New Look 6945Here's what I plan to run up in the next couple of months. I saw the pattern on the left done up in a really cute fabric for a 'hottie hausfrau' look. I love, love, love the 3/4 sleeve version of the pattern on the right. The French call these 'gilets' and there are some stunning examples of hand embroidered gilets in the Musee de la Mode de la Ville Paris. Speaking of which, it's that time of year again.....
Mark Miler Eiffel Tower fabric
Mark Miller Eiffel Tower fabric, discontinued. I just got the last 3.5 yards from Fabric Finders. Hmmm...dress, top, or skirt?

10 comments:

HPNY Knits said...

I like the new "do". its perfect for summer. you are brave to be sewing. its too precise for me.
the $ is the pits now n Europe. hope you can get to the factory for discounts.

Hilde C. said...

I hope you show us what you sew.
Regarding Amsterdam: I've been there only once many years ago. I remember I enjoyed taking a boat on the canals and visit the VanGogh museum. I hope you'll have a great trip :-)

lobstah said...

"What Rogues looks like after she leaves X-men..." You crack me up!
Sewing--you are ambitious! I am the world's most mediocre sewer so I'll just enjoy seeing what you make.

Patrizia's Adventures in Knitting said...

Hey chickie, I will be in Austin on Saturday for Hannah's baby shower. What are you and the girls doing for Sunday knitting?

Patrizia's Adventures in Knitting said...

Whoops, I hit send when I meant to hit save. The patterns look super yummy & fun. Which means they are perfect for you, my friend. I can't wait to see what you make.

Garngamen said...

Wow, you have been busy! Im sneaking a break in work, to look at your fab posts. I mean, that hat looks swell.. And the fabric, oh dear... Paris Paris... I especially love the pattern of the top... they look nice. So stopped smoking? Good on you! I hold my thumbs.... That dress is also great. Really yummy, but the best is always your fantastic close-up of your yarn. What a photographer. Those colours together... So Cornelias knitting... Yeah, she have some great patterns. For sure. Are you going to spin the dog-fleece? Mittens? Sweater? blankie? How fun! And thanks for your nice visits to the very empty garngamen-land... Im glad someone is reading. It often feels like my "private knitting diary". Hugs Mary. PS. Weather is Sweden has definitely cooled off.... the heat was short - and wonderfully nice!

Mardel said...

I love the way the current projects all coordinate so well, as if they are part and parcel of some unified whole. Great picture

Anyway, the fabrics are nice too, kind of summery and fun and the pattern combinations just seem to sing lazy summer days....

a little wishful thinking here, although summer has arrived with a vengeance and I am hiding inside.

Marsha said...

Love the Eiffel Tower fabric - too cute.

Batty said...

Your fabric choices make me want to sew! I've been trying to learn for years, and I think I may have to try again. So pretty!

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

I finally bought my industrial machines (got to love the speed), only to discover that I have to hire an electricial to put in special wiring for me so I don't blow any more fuses. *groan*

Your fabric is very inspiring. I want to sew but my domestic machines are so very Uninspiring...sooooo slow compared to the industrial ones I used at work. But I suppose better to sew slow than not at all.

Yes, you will have to post photos of the finished items.