Wednesday, September 24

Irrational Exuberance at the Yarn Shop

Why let the destruction of the Texas coastline by Hurricane Ike and the current meltdown of Wall Street and the American economy deny me the pleasure of enjoying 25% off of my latest purchase at Gauge? Ah, the joys of being a frequent buyer. I'm doing my darned best to stimulate the local economy, one LYS at a time. Honestly, I can't imagine not knitting while watching the news these days, can you? (especially if you quit smoking a few months ago...)

I have a terrible weakness for kid mohair. Great colors, so fine, so foofy and easy to double with another yarn. It creates an instant halo and warmth to any garment IF you aren't allergic to it. I saw this colorway and immediately fell for the chalkboard effect of the charcoal grey with flecks of primary colors. I paired it with the Twinkle Cruise, a silk/cotton blend, instead of a wool yarn so I can wear this sooner than later.
Crystal Palace kid merino
Crystal Palace Kid Mohair, color 439 night lights, 25 gms/240 yds (28% kid mohair, 28% merino, 44% micro nylon)
Twinkle Cruise, color 9 black, 50 gms/120 yds (70%silk, 30%cotton)
Crystal Palace kid merinoBolero, detailCrystal Palace kid merino/Twinkle cruise bolero
I hunted around Ravelry for a pattern and saw this Drops bolero and immediately cast on. Drops Designs, 95-13.

Things are grim these days, so here a few pix to cheer you up:
Louie and yarn
"Whoa, dude, check it out! Free yarn and they don't ask for ID."

UT campusWell, hello yourself.
Austin Sunset
There's a silver lining around here, somewhere...

4 comments:

JulieLoves2Knit said...

Speaking of quiting smoking - how are you doing and what did you do...I need inspiration!

Patrizia's Adventures in Knitting said...

Love this pics, missy. They definitely perked me up.

Garngamen said...

One LYS at the time... you are doing a good job! Love the bolero, I must say, I like mohair too...! kitty kitty kitten, so cute! ps. glad you got out of the hurricane! Was a bit worried there...!

drlaura said...

hi!
that's one of my favorite colors of kid merino!
i'm drlaura, CPYsockguru. just wanted you to know that as soon as you have pics to share, we'd love to post them on our blog [or anything knit in Crystal Palace yarns]
the blog is CPYsocksandmore and is a good place to go to find out about our smashing new yarn colors too.
proflauraATfirststepinternetDOTcom