Friday, November 21

Artyarns Cashmere Sock YarnArtyarns Cashmere Sock Yarn, 50gms/160 yds, Col. 140 aka "Louie"
I'll probably use a pattern from "Luxury Yarn One Skein Wonders," by Judith Durant

I recently made a little extra scratch and treated myself to this rather expensive, low yardage sock yarn all because it matched my cat. Oh yeah, like you buy sock yarn to match your wardrobe. Right. Actually, I had been obsessing about mustard green, grey and black for a sweater for Tex. Uh, not anymore... Anyway, I brought the yarn home, hid it the yarncave, cleaned the catbox as penance and connected the dots...it looks just like Louie! Yep, another nail in my middle aged crazy cat lady coffin and I'm afraid it's only going to get worse. Here's another shot as proof: Artyarns Cashmere Sock Yarn

North Austin SnBSanity arrives in the form of having my SnB group over to prove that I'm not the only one with this affliction. They don't color coordinate their pets with yarn purchases as far as I know, but they do put yarndex to shame. And I'm forced to tidy up a bit.(!)

I've been feeling extremely middle-aged lately. My 12-year old son is hotrodding around in skinny jeans and high-tops while I'm shopping for elastic waist stretch pants and shoes that can hold my orthotics. I recently bought "The Flat Belly Diet," by Liz Vaccariello and "You, On a Diet," by Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz (You, on Oprah) because I can't seem to lose the 20 pounds I've gained since I stopped smoking. Both books basically ascribe to the Mediterranean diet(olive oil vs. butter) which I embrace wholeheartedly as I pour myself a glass of red wine. But this malaise is not just about thinking like a 28-year old when you're 45. It's stuff like seeing Carla Bruni(age 41) on David Letterman and watching him play le flaneur to her breathy ingenue. Like looking at the Anthropologie catalog and realizing you'd rather analyze the cables on this sweater than wear a filmy blouse with cut-off shorts and suede boots.
Anthropology catalog cover
There is hope for us Gen Xers in the culture wars. Her name is Michelle Obama and she's married to
008: Obama, Barack Obama
008
Obama, Barack Obama

4 comments:

Laura Essendine said...

I think we women should ban the word "middle" especially in the phrase middle-aged. Middle is neither one thing or the other - not best or worst, first or last. Middle is insignificant.

Instead of Middle say Centre. You're centre stage, the centre of attention, self centred and a centrefold.

Doesn't that sound better than middle?!

Keep posting (and knitting)

Laura Essendine
Author – The Accidental Guru
The Books Limited Blog

Deborah Knight said...

Your post gave me such a good laugh! We should consider reorganizing Yarndex to match pussycats: Ginger, Tabby, Tuxedo, Calico...

As for those 20 pounds...I quit smoking on January 1, 2000. The cigarette always signified the "Official End of the Meal." Thus, the meal has not ended in almost nine years. I am now two sizes larger, but at least I'm not gasping for air. I promised myself that I would not even think about my weight until I had fully kicked the nicotine habit.

Now, I'm slowly working my way back down to a more reasonble weight.

The olive oil idea is a good one. Best of luck!

Deborah
Yarndex.com
Yanmarket, LLC

Steve Parker, M.D. said...

I'm not familiar with "Flat Belly Diet" yet, but "You - on a Diet" is fairly good for women under 210 pounds. "You" has good exercise info, but doesn't tell you how to prevent weight regain.

Another good Medi diet program is Connie Gutterson's "Sonoma Diet."

And you might want to check out the free Mediterranean diet program I wrote for my patients:
http://advancedmediterraneandiet.com/doityourselfdiet.html

This holiday season may not be the best time to start a diet. Good luck!

-Steve

Hilde C. said...

I see that I definitively need a cat, and then, more yarn :-)