Thursday, January 8

Resolutions for the well-intentioned

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but it does give me an excuse to update my current priorities. I really want to do a lot more colorwork, especially one of these wonderful fair isle designs.
So I started with a little something to get warmed up as my first 2009 FO:

Lucha Libre!
Lucha Libre
The pattern is from "Son of Stitch 'n Bitch." I picked out the yarn, Berroco Comfort acrylic, and Tex picked out the colors. Don't worry, Bandit's got one in the queue. I made the crown about 1" shorter. I'll probably make the space between the nose and mouth a little shorter on the next one and keep the original numbers for the crown. Also, the pattern calls for a size 5 needle for the ribbing and I think it's a little snug. I'll probably use a size 6 on the next one.

Lucha Libre
If there's a guitar playing, skate boarding, slightly moody pre-teen boy in your life then you have to make this. It's quick, it's funny and, best of all, they'll actually wear it.

I also plan to knit extensively from the stash and only shop locally as needed except when there's a killer sale and I've been looking at that Sea Silk for months and...well, you know how that goes. My Patternworks gift card is an exception and will be used as my 'lifeline' in case I get a little twitchy and start trawling the internet...like here and here. That's right, you go check out those deals. I'll just sit here a spell and finish a few hundred WIPs.

Last year, I quit smoking and I feel great...except for the 20 lbs that I gained. It may not seem like much, but it all went to my gut which is new territory for me. Usually the extra lbs go to my butt and thighs. Anyway, I'd like to lose that weight instead of shopping the sales for larger sizes. I've got the gym membership and diet books. Now, I need a new gadget. Well, no, I don't need one but I ordered it anyway. Yep, I've ordered a Bodybugg. I get the gizmo, plus 6 months computer tracking AND it's Mac compatible. (not all of these things are).

I don't need pep talks, I just need the raw data. As in "Honey, you better get off of your ass and swing a few cats because those three Milanos just cost you 180 calories."  And you want to know what's really cool about it? It not only keeps track of calories burned while walking and working out, but while knitting.

I can't wait to see how many calories a sock burns!

9 comments:

Hilde C. said...

It's not difficult to understand why he wants to wear it - it is really something. But if he knocked on my door I would be quite scared I think :-)

HPNY Knits said...

its fantastic!

Patrizia's Adventures in Knitting said...

'Tis muy muy bueno, baby.

JulieLoves2Knit said...

OMG- I took a picture - it is definitely time for them to come off! But now the most protruding appendage is my belly - Back to Weight Watchers for me (It works). Good luck on your efforts and congrats for quitting smoking!!!

Batty said...

Brilliant!

lobstah said...

Awesome! I think those might also be good for the "preteens-at-heart", he he.
The Bodybugg looks so cool. I'm with ya, I could really use a bit more exercise in my life.

Ceci said...

How does it measure the calories?? You will tell us how many, right? :D

Eagerly awaiting pics of the famous Barking Dog sweater.

Bonnie said...

Love the mask.

Also, two years ago I managed to loser over 32 lbs in about 7 months. And I've managed to keep the weight off! My secret portions and exercise. It is hard as nails but I know that you can do it.

I know you say you don't need pep talks but there will be days when you do. I swear sometimes brownies or second servings literally called my name.

The Bodybugg is a great idea and should really help. You may also consider PeerTrainer. There is a PeerTrainer group on Ravelry if you have any questions.

To quote Rob Schneider in Waterboy...."you can do it!"

knitspot anne said...

that is SO cool! and i do have several boys that age in my life who would love on!