Thursday, July 30

Oscar Cable Update!

aka "Laziness vs. Patience...You Decide"

Three years ago, I saw this Oscar de La Renta Sweater in the runway highlights and thought, "Holy Big-Ass Cables, Batgirl! How can I knit this?" Then, the store version came out for a mere $2200, 100% cashmere. I knew I could make this sucker for way cheaper and I'd use a wool/cotton blend to work in central Texas. I ordered the Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in the 'cottonball' colorway and set to swatching. I looked into all sorts of cables in Barbara Walker...'Giant Braided Plait' comes to mind as well as as fiddling with changing needle sizes, increasing before the cable row then decreasing after, working a few rows on a separate dpn and then cabling those stitches. I got bogged down into pattern details and adjusting for different sizes. Friends would send me links to any really big cables they saw. Phildar has a nice one in their Phildar № 006 Créations, Automne-Hiver/Fall-Winter 2008/2009 issue. (thanks, Ravelry) I even ordered that edition, but it wasn't enough to stir me from my jotted notes and over-researched stupor....
Oscar Cable sweater

and then, while I was perusing the latest issue of Interweave Knits(Fall/09) I saw this....



I just knew if I was patient and/or lazy enough that somebody would 'adapt' this design with a few tweaks and publish it. Here, check it out for yourself at the skacel collection website. So, I hope all the knitters in the Yahoo aran knitters group and the devoted blog souls who have long given up on me will now turn their energies to knitting up this pattern and kvetch about it on Ravelry. I just can't handle that kind of pressure right now. But.....

You know, I'm not so sure I'd run that smaller cable up the arms. I think it makes for a slightly jurassic look and, goodness knows, I'm old enough as it is. And I just bet that neckline is folded over which means supertoasty---not a good thing here in TX. And what about cable splay at the hem and sleeve edges? Now, I just know I could do better.......!????

1 comment:

Hilde C. said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your version :-)