Friday, April 15

Life and Taxes


My little write-offs.
Thanksgiving 2010


Some people find that they have 'senior' moments and others have 'Aha!' moments. I have 'Erma Bombeck' moments. You see, I live with 2 boys who are transitioning into teenagers. The younger one will be officially 13 in a month, but he received excellent training from his 14.5-year-old brother. I'm positive that schizophrenia or bipolar disorder doesn't run in my family, but I'm starting to have my suspicions. Imagine if you threw "The Simpsons," "Tosh.0," "Lucha Libre," "The Golf Channel" and "Dark Shadows" into a sitcom blender, then you'd have a close rendition of my life. They are completely evil, smelly, messy and rude. They are funny, affectionate, clever and curious. They are the future. They must be stopped. They say stuff like, "When I grow up I want to be a real boy," in a silly voice that makes me laugh every time.

And have I mentioned that they sleep a lot? They sleep so deeply that I'm always tempted to grab a mirror to see if they're breathing. But not always. When they're not sleeping, they're eating which brings me to my latest enthusiasm:

Frugal Fixes for Leftovers!

Periodically, I get a sanity break when the boys stay with their father. And, inevitably, I am left with half eaten bags of chips, cookies or a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I am not about to eat 4 doughnuts and they'll get stale by the time the boys are back with me. Remembering an article I read in the NYTimes, I searched their website and found "Jelly Doughnut Pudding."
I only had 4 regular doughnuts and not the original 14 jelly doughnuts as called for in the recipe, so I used about a quarter of the ingredients. I cut the cooking time to 45 minutes, removed the foil and baked the pudding for another 10 minutes, broiling on high for the last 2 minutes. I might drizzle a little chocolate sauce over it...or I might not.



Knitting

I just taught a class on working 2 toe-up socks at the same time, using "Socks from the Toe Up," by Wendy D. Johnson. Judy's Magic cast-on is a marvel. Watch the youTube video and cast on the stitches when you'll not be interrupted. Another delight was the heel. It's a deceptively simple gusset heel that neatly rejoins the instep stitches without any holes. We did work the final decreases to 36 stitches instead of the 34 as written in the pattern. Now, we're working on the "Ruched Yoke Tee' from IK Spring 2011. I cast on for the 38.5" and have increased to the 42.5" size as I want a tighter neckline. I also plan to work my keyhole opening a little deeper as a result. If you want to make a cardigan version of this piece, then try the "Tea Leaves Cardigan" from Madeline Tosh. This pattern has you work with 2 different needle sizes to create the ruching effect.

I feel like I just paid for the new craft room at the Treasury Department, so I think a little recycled doughnut goodness is in order....

4 comments:

JulieLoves2Knit said...

Glad you're back - such a handsome family!

Anonymous said...

love it.

HPNY Knits said...

hi
you and the boys look great, and happy Easter!
now I know what to do iafter Hanukkah when I have all those leftover jelly doughnuts!!

Batty said...

Those are some fine-looking writeoffs! You're doing a great job.

I have leftover baguettes from an event at DH's work. I think we have bread pudding in our future. The donut pudding looks delicious, but we never have leftover donuts, for some reason.