Monday, October 28

DFW spells Metroplex

I spent last weekend in Dallas so that my sons, Tex and Bandit, could compete at the St. Mark's Invitational Debate in the Cross X Policy Debate division. I have no idea what most of that means. I told them it was going to be just like a vacation except they got to do exactly what they wanted. And so did I. Friday was spent in Ft. Worth where I visited some old and new haunts. First, was a trip to the Cabbage Rose Quilt Shop where I had purchased my Kaffe Fassett Hot Diamonds Quilt. The shop has moved across the street, it's bigger and even better than I remember and I picked out some perfect solids to calm down those hothothot prints. Lunch at the Swiss Pastry Shop where they use the exact same recipe for their killer Black Forest Cake(no cherries) from when I was a teenager. I made a trip to the Kimbell Art Museum(I worked there one summer during college) to see the Picasso/Matisse exhibit (very well curated---Brancusi, Modigliani, Max Ernst treats) and to view some old friends (loves me some Vigee Le Brun). And I even had time to see the Cowgirl Museum (I snuck in the photo above). What a treat! And the gift shop is a lot of fun!
Debates start early, end late and there's a dress code. I feel like I'm living with teenaged Mormons on the weekends. I decided to introduce the boys to the retro side of Dallas dining. We had a great dinner at Javier's (filete Cantinflas, of course) and the next night was a total blast at Campisi's Egyptian Lounge where we all maxed out on really cheap and really good RatPack Italian. Speaking of cheap, I had the most amazing Vietnamese food at Bistro B with my old SNB pal, Renee. The combo Banh Mi was YUM and be sure to order the crunchy pork rolls as well as the duck rolls. We decided to stop by The Woolly Ewe for dessert.

Epic fail. The shop is VERY different from what I remember. It used to be the hot chick of yarn, full of surprises, new lines and amazing samples that turned you into a zombie marching up to the register with a full year's yarn budget in your basket. Now? Divorce and menopause. And I know what divorce and menopause feels like, ladies. A cry for normal surrounded by a rare hot flash of sexy surrounded by mom jeans and some really tired scarves. It was the first time I've ever walked out of a yarn shop empty handed. Yeah. I know.
So, here are the solids I picked out for my hot prints.

And here's one of the first blocks. It's a little fussy with the piecing and you're not going to bang out 10 in one day BUT look at how pretty it sets up!

No comments: