Wednesday, October 16

Fabric Therapy and the Diva Princess Bordello

Yesterday, a neighbor asked me if I quilted and we proceeded to have a nice chat about charm packs, jelly rolls and layer cakes. (these are all pre-cut fabric packs, FYI) Quilting really has gotten zippier in the past few years! Especially since the fabric companies realized that we all enjoy a little instant gratification when it involves NOT having to cut a bunch squares.

 With quilts on the brain, I took the morning to 'curate' my collection of quilting and fashion fabrics. Looking through my fabrics is like flipping through an album of the past 20 years or so. There are fabrics that I bought on trips and others that I stashed while living in France (toile, provencal prints, silk chiffon). Some are clearly for skirts and dresses while others are strictly patchwork. Scraps remain from quilts large and small, curtains from another house, skirts long since retired and a little bit of everything else. Why do I have 3 yards of a bold watermelon print? And am I really going to make a pale pink Jackie O dress with the linen I bought at Rex fabrics in Miami like 10 years ago? Do I really need to hang onto every dinky quilt scrap? Mainly, what this album shows is someone who was clearly trying to bury herself in busyness to avoid some big holes in other parts of her life. (And let's not even talk about the yarn stash right now) A little wave of melancholy passed over me and then...
I rediscovered the Kaffe Fassett Hot Diamonds quilt kit.
I had seen this quilt on the wall at the Cabbage Rose Quilt Shop in Ft. Worth, TX. It was big and beautiful and had more hot pink and fuchsia roses than a Diva Princess Bordello. I wavered about 5 seconds before pouncing on the pretty little package that included over 20 prints and a copy of "Kaffe Fassett's Kaleidoscope of Quilts." I swear to God I was going to make that quilt, fly to Malta and drape it over the first stone wall I found just like almost every supersaturated quilty photo in that book. It was going to be Diva Princess Bordello time with some earthy red wine, night blooming jasmine and that quilt on a big 'ol four poster bed just waiting to be violated. Well, that was the idea until Ex took one look at all that red, pink, fuchsia and magenta and starting blinking like he just had a visual hairball and was desperately trying to remove it. And so Hot Diamonds went into the depths of a Rubbermaid bin, patiently maturing like a fine wine.
 Now, the thing is, I still love the fabrics but I'm not so keen on Hot Diamonds anymore. I want a pattern that is a little calmer, more cohesive. So, I started perusing my other Kaffe Fassett quilt patterns and came across Sunny Frames.
But the squares looked a little too chunky for my taste.
My neighbor had mentioned how much she loved the My Sister & Me charm packs, so I went to their website to look at their patterns and voila! Pin Curls (reminds me of the Tory Burch logo) would allow me to use a solid to unify all the prints and have a distinctive design. Now, which solid works best???
We got yer turquoise, rusty brown and fuchsia. Feel free to weigh in on this because I haven't made my mind up and I'll need to buy the solid color. I decided to blend the two designs and came up with this. Now, does that scream Diva Princess Bordello or what???

No comments: