Wednesday, October 9

I'm not the only one...

who is intrigued by the world of perfumes and scent! I just finished "Coming to My Senses: A Story of Perfume, Pleasure, and an Unlikely Bride," by Alyssa Harad. Go read the proper reviews elsewhere. All I can say is that Harad's book is utterly charming. So charming, that I spent all afternoon reading it with my copy of "Perfumes: The Guide," by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez at my side. So charming, that I then went online and figured out her signature scent, ordered a sample of it plus three others that I was interested in. And there wasn't any sex or swearing (I loves me some dirty dirty every once in awhile)---now, THAT really is charming!

 I have always enjoyed identifying perfumes on people. For instance, I had drinks with my ex-husband and his parents last week. After his father asked me to consider remarrying their son in 10-15 years, I leaned over to kiss my former mother-in-law goodbye. "Ah, you smell great! What are you wearing?" I asked her. "Yves St. Laurent" was her reply. Well, that is an old trick, my friend. Just like getting a recipe from a French grandmother who 'accidentally' leaves out the key ingredient. Yves St. Laurent can mean any number of fragrances but I went into my mental scent vault and pulled out...Paris. A big-assed floral that almost has a tantrum before drying down to the "Come sit by me and I'll tell you a secret" school of perfume. I'm more of a spice, earth, touch of lemongrass kind of gal with a true appreciation for what a really well done floral can smell like. Like the most gorgeous bouquet of flowers all smooshed into a bottle. Now, is that charming, classy or sexy....you decide.

 Sooo, this morning when I volunteered to oversee the Homecoming election table between voting times at Austin High School (after my sons fairly sprinted away from me in the parking lot like I was the original MomCootie), I pulled out my book and mentioned that I was interested in perfume. "Oh, really?" was the response I got from one person while "Ahhhh...." was from the other. I'm used to it. Harad gets used to it beautifully!

 OK, for yer information: I ordered samples of Coco Chanel, Malle's Une Rose, Guerlain's Plus Que Jamais and Ginestet's Botrytis. Botrytis means 'noble rot' in winemaking terms. Did you ever see the episode of "Big Bang Theory" where the girls go to Disneyland and dress up as princesses and the show ends with the responses of their respective boyfriends? Uh, Botrytis would be Penny and Leonard. FYI: Alyssa Harad curated this scent for the All Souls Book Trilogy over here.

No comments: